• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12 volt conversion charging issue

80sturgisrider

OK...I am SURE there is allot of talk about converting to 12 volt, vice the 24 volt. I recently came into possession of an M1008. I was told it ran, but had not heard it run, because there was no starter. The cheaper route for me was to purchase a 12 volt gear reduction starter, then convert the truck to 12 volts. I had done these conversions before, however, now I have run into a problem. I have always used this method http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/nn10.pdf, however, on page 4, it is explained to use the ground wire from the driver side alternator on the ground post of the passenger side alternator---here is the problem: that "ground" post is HOT, not a ground. Obviously, connecting a wire to that "ground" post, then to the engine creates a HUGE short. So...what have I done wrong? I have gotten rid of the resistor, the push button glow plug system works flawlessly, the truck starts right up. I have followed every instruction to the "t" (except installing that ground wire that is actually hot) in the link and I still do not charge the batteries. Thots please?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks