• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12K Halfshaft Outer Joint Removal

JO-0321

Hey all...

I was on here in previous threads trying to figure out how to get the outer joint off of a 12K half shaft so I could clean it up well before re-greasing and putting a new CV boot on. I found some great information via YouTube for 10K halfshafts, but nothing for the 12K. I also came across some good debate about whether that outer joint needs to be removed or even if it should or should not be. Hopefully I can provide some clarity on this:

According the TM, the outer joint IS designed to be removed. CV boot kits should come with a new spacer and retaining ring for both the inner and outer joints...you definitely want to replace the retaining ring that holds the outer joint together as it can get a little roughed up in this process. The TM says to use a slide hammer to remove the outer joint. I didn't have one of those, so I used a hammer. Before you lose your mind on me for just beating on a joint...watch the video I'm linking here showing a tool I made. The tool protects the joint cup from any damage from the hammer and works very well in lieu of a slide hammer.

The other debate was whether or not the outer joint needs to be removed to be cleaned up or not. I suppose this is personal preference if there's no dirt, dust or debris in the grease...but you're definitely going to want to clean it well if any of those are present. I chose to remove and clean mine simply because I may be a little OCD and I felt like I was half-assing it if I just tried to wipe out as much of the old grease as I could before applying new grease.

So, without further adieu...here's the video I made. I'm not a videographer or a mechanic so its the best I could do...hopefully it helps someone out.