• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1989 suburban 4X4 axles

richingalveston

I found a 88 or 89 suburban 4X4, has 700r4 tranny and still has both axles, engine is gone.
i dont want tranny but want want axles for my 1009 any one know what gears would be in these and what would be a fair price.

engineman2

Axles

The axles should have data tags on them which will have the ratio stamped. Or, you can have a Chevrolet dealer run the VIN. A final option would be to take off the diff cover, rotate the diff and count the teeth on the ring and pinion. All of these will work and the third will work even if the ratio was changed at some point. The ratio could be anywhere from 3.10 to 4.56. So, you gots ta do a little diggin'.

richingalveston

ill go have them open them up, then work on price

no glovebox on truck. could not read vin through broken windshield and messed up dash, the vehicle sitting on bricks no tires so cant crawl under.
it is 3/4 ton 8 lug axles and had gas engine but dont know what size it is gone along with front clip.
its a frame and body with tranny and axles left. also still has rear air hangin in it with shroud but i already have that.
doors are gone and if were not for the pile of crap sitting where the engine was I would be able to see the front axle much better.

they were asking $1200 for front and $600 for back with $100 for tranny core (i dont want tranny).
yes i think that is outrageous in price but I cant find any in Houston area.

For those who have not been to the junk yard lately, they are empty. metal hit 12 cents here and everything preveous to late 90's has been melted.

open for any sugestions. want heavy axle for my m1009 project,

thanks for the replies

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
3/4ton the tranny most likely will be a TH400. I have two of them.

$1800 for axles?I may part mine out...lol

I hear you about not much left in the yards. I have started buying parts trucks when ever I can find them.

mudman

no glovebox on truck. could not read vin through broken windshield and messed up dash, the vehicle sitting on bricks no tires so cant crawl under.
it is 3/4 ton 8 lug axles and had gas engine but dont know what size it is gone along with front clip.
its a frame and body with tranny and axles left. also still has rear air hangin in it with shroud but i already have that.
doors are gone and if were not for the pile of crap sitting where the engine was I would be able to see the front axle much better.

they were asking $1200 for front and $600 for back with $100 for tranny core (i dont want tranny).
yes i think that is outrageous in price but I cant find any in Houston area.

For those who have not been to the junk yard lately, they are empty. metal hit 12 cents here and everything preveous to late 90's has been melted.

open for any sugestions. want heavy axle for my m1009 project,

thanks for the replies
Dude that is way to much money for the diff's. You can get a whole running burb for that. What about pickups?? Same parts. We have burbs ebery where up here. Maybe I should bring some down for parts.. I could get rich!!!

richingalveston

i agree, i am have been in sticker shock for 3 weeks while searching for other options. I am parting a two wheel drive burb now for electric locks windows and tilt column, rear air.
have all front air parts i will be selling soon.

my 1009 has paint finished and i am putting interior back in now. had dash in but now have to take out to change column.
dont know how many people here are looking for the axles to start shipping them this way. but thats all I really need except for all the new parts a (lift and tires). So I am not sure i want to part another one, rather spend time and energy on the 1009

rlwm211

way too pricey

"they were asking $1200 for front and $600 for back "

That is a lot of money for essentially junk yard parts.

There has to be a U-Pullit down there somewhere.

Suburban axles in the late 80s and up to 91 typically have lockers or limited slip in the back. I am on my third 'old style' suburban and all of them had this feature. I have had two 3/4 ton and one 1/2 ton and they all were 3.73 also with the 700R4 or the 4L80E (91).

If you get the rpo codes I can decipher any of them to tell you what the vehicle has.

I seem to recall seeing an axle for a cucv in the classifieds a ways back but I could be wrong. You do definitely want to long gears if possible to improve fuel economy and also increase your comfortable cruise speed in terms of RPM. If you get the axles, it would probably be a good idea to get the proportioning valve too as the diameters of the disc brakes and drum brakes may not be in the same ratio of braking effort front to back as you currently have now.

chevyCUCV

Holy crap!!! Junk yards around me are still full of 14ff and dana 60's

You could probably get them shipped to you for cheaper

Why waste money on 10 bolts?

wdbtchr

I got my '89 Suburban a couple of years ago for $ 1100 from GSA in Ft Leavenworth. Ran good, 350 gas, granny low 4 speed and 4.56 gears, 3/4 ton. I saved everything but the body which was pretty rusty. It had a broken fork on the clutch. I got it to put in my '80 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup.

I decided after I got it to go with the throttle body injection using all the wiring and computer from the 'burb. I was able to even use the instrument cluster, fit like socks on a rooster. The pickup came from Dept. of Interior. Not military but still government surplus.:roll:

richingalveston

for some reason they are not in houston

for some reason these axles are difficult to find right now in houston area.
I prefer to see before i buy that why I would rather drive than ship. but will if thats what it comes down to.

been shopping for vehicles to scrap but cant find anything less than 3 or 4k unless i ship it also.

maybe i am to close to mexico. i could probably get the axles real cheap there but may not make it home.

thanks for all the advice. a cant stomach the price thats why i am still looking.

I could by an ORD tripple stick doubler for what the junk yard in houston wants for there axles.

on that cheep burb, i bought a 1009 a couple of years ago very clean for 2000, try to do that today.

thanks for any advice.