• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24 volts and the 700r4

Gunfreak25

Anyone know how the 700r4 would work on 24 volts? I know things like switches work on either 12v or 24v and many are sold labeled as such. However the 700r4 is full of hydraulic solenoids which I am sure need to see the voltage they are wired for (12v).

I guess the proper question is how do solenoids designed for 12v work on 24v? If they function twice as vast due to the doubled voltage I could see where this would cause concerns in a transmission.

Gunfreak25

I installed a 700r4 K case into my 6.2L M211 which is 24v. I opted to stay with 24v because for the additional $90 it costs for an extra battery I get to keep all of my original gauges, IP solenoid and light bulbs. Plus I feel 24V is more advantageous over 12v, just my op.

I thought the 700r4 had some other internal solenoids aside from the lockup solenoid? In any case it's not a huge deals since I have a 720 watt 30 amp converter and the lockup hardly uses any power.

Just thought if I could avoid having to wire my tranny through a converter I would do so, for redundancy's sake. But, it's all good.

jwaller

there is only 1 solinoid in a 700R4 and it's for the TCC clutch. Its about $15 to replace and is easily done with a fluid change. Go for it and if it fails your not out much.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I would add a resistor inline for the TCC solenoid. Just need to know how much current it pulls to calculate the resistor that would lower the voltage seen by the solenoid.

Gunfreak25

Thanks for the clarification. I looked it up and the solenoid only draws .5 amps. If the solenoid saw 24v it would in theory cause the torque converter to lockup twice as fast correct? I don't think this is a bad thing since i'll only be using lockup under a few conditions. 1 being anytime I see 50+mph which will be rarely. 2 i'll only use lockup under no load conditions. So from a friction standpoint a faster lockup would be beneficial to clutch life, less slippage right?

It is a cheap easy to replace part. I guess the question is will the solenoid work on 24v without frying? It hardly uses any power.

Carl_in_NH

The coil will overheat and burn out - it will just take time. How much time? Depends on how well built it is - but it will fail. Use a dropping resistor.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok, if the solenoid draws .5 amps, then that means it uses 6 watts.

24v - 12v = 12v / .5 = 6 ohms to reduce it.

Something like this speaker resistor should do the trick.
Amazon.com: Dayton Audio DNR-6.0 6 Ohm 10W Precision Audio Grade Resistor: Electronics

It won't regulate current as load increases, so it will see a little higher voltage than 12v when the engine is running. But then again, that solenoid is used to 13.5-14V to start with.

Gunfreak25

Nice, thanks V. So this resistor, does it reduce the voltage from 24 down to 12 or do I still leave the trans hooked up to the voltage converter I have on the firewall. Electronics were never my strong point.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Installing the resistor inline would allow it to be wired to 24V. The load would be reduced to ~12V at the solenoid.

papakb

Back to school patracy,

You were on the right track, just got the formulas swapped.

R = V / I

R = 12 / .5 so R = 24 ohms

P = I x E

P = .5 x 12 so P = 6 watts

So a 10 watt, 24 ohm resistor wired in series with the +24 volt supply will drop the voltage to 12 volts and keep the solenoid from frying.

Kurt

armytruck63

The resistor would be much more reliable since it is only one part. Make sure you mount it in a location where air can circulate around it to prevent over heating.

Carl_in_NH

There's no need for the added complexity of the step-down converter - the resistor is the simplest solution. Simple == better, in my book.

As stated in the formula, this resistor will dissapate 6 Watts and will therefore get quite warm; mount it in an place where air can flow around it and nothing that will get damaged by the heat (like wire insulation) is touching it.

EDIT: Looks like Armytruck63 and I were typing at the same time

Gunfreak25

It's so simple. Why don't more people use these resistors? Are resistors usually used for small low power items?

Carl_in_NH

Many times, yes - when the power to be delivered to the load is fairly low and voltage regulation at the load isn't critical a resistor is the simple and robust solution. In this case both points are true. Other loads (like a radio) would warrent a different solution, like the DC-DC converter.

A DC-DC converter would be more efficent in terms of not generating 6 Watts of waste heat (more likely a few tenths of a Watt with a modern converter) compaired to the resistor, but in a vehicle application like this I tend to favor the simple solution at these power levels.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks