• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24V solenoid next to power steering pump replacement

AKAustria

Hello FMTV/LMTV gurus!

Probably a ridiculous question - but it just shows how little I know.

I have a 2000 1083A1, purchased at auction in Fairbanks.
It ran pretty good, had some starting issues that were traced back to a solenoid on the left side of the engine, next to the power steering pump.
Shortening the two big terminals would crank/start instantly.
Pushing the start button would work for some time, and then, after a few days trouble shooting the start-then die, it would only click.
Shortening the big terminals would make it crank like the zombie’s are coming.

The solenoid has stamped on the base “24V 3L” and “SBC-4401E”

I traced the not-stay-running problem back to a leaking fuel-water separator (both gaskets were corroded), which presumably sucked air and then of course died.
When I cleaned the gaskets up some and screwed the filter tighter on, it actually ran for quite some time, about 2 min before dying again.
I got a NAPA replacement filter 🤞🏼and will put it in today to see whether that does the trick.

NO luck whatsoever to find a 24V solenoid. I believe that’s what it is.

BUT! While I call it a starter solenoid, it probably isn’t called that since I would like to think that solenoid would be mounted on the starter.

No luck on finding anything online, but I might be looking for the wrong part.
And I live in southcentral Alaska, so shipping ANYTHING takes 10days+…

Any ideas or thoughts?

Thank you and Happy Weekend everybody

Attachments

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's just a 24v, 100A continuous duty solenoid. Any brand/country of origin you are willing to live with will work in theory. Google some up, note down some part numbers, and start calling suppliers in your area.

Factory is a Prestolite.....

NSN 2920-01-361-5802
Part #'s
12414619 BAE
19999220 OSHKOSH
SBC-4401E-1 AMETEK & PRESTOLITE
Org. Cost $26.25

AKAustria

It's just a 24v, 100A continuous duty solenoid. Any brand/country of origin you are willing to live with will work in theory. Google some up, note down some part numbers, and start calling suppliers in your area.

Factory is a Prestolite.....

NSN 2920-01-361-5802
Part #'s
12414619 BAE
19999220 OSHKOSH
SBC-4401E-1 AMETEK & PRESTOLITE
Org. Cost $26.25
AWESOME! That’s all the info I was after. I appreciate your help!!!

Ronmar

So that big solenoid was going click but it wouldn’t crank Untill you shorted across its big terminals?

As mentioned, not a fancy part, anyplace that has truck parts around you should have one of these on the shelf…