• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5T Mystery Crane

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The MC-1 and XM-61 are both very similar. I have seen the XM-61 at Jacks and it looks alot like it but it is different. The most obvious thing is that the XM-61 has a diamond plate bed that the crane sits on. I have only seen one picture of the MC-1 and I think that was in a MVM article. I would have to guess it's a MC-1.2cents

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, doesn't look like an MC-1 either.

Hard to find images of MC-1's. The only Images of XM-61's I've ever seen are the ones you and I have taken of Jack's.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just searched through 3 boxes of MVM magazines. The article on MC-1's was in issue Apr 2007. My guess is, that it is it's either a XM-61 or MC-1 with the diamond plate bed cut and the cab constructed after that. After some internet searching, the booms came in different lengths. With the boom being a different color, I am guessing it was replaced with a longer one. Any chance of seeing the data plate?

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good research. It's about 2 hours away from me behind a fence. This was the closest I could get to it on a Sunday. I first saw this truck about 2 years ago. It hasn't moved. I may head out there in the next few weeks to check it out a little closer.

I will of course take the camera.

PorscheTech911

Dale you must be seriously lost if you 'forgot' where you parked in Arizona...

Anyway I don't have much to add other than it could be a custom made vehicle to suit someone's needs. Be careful on the other side of the fence! :eek:

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyway I don't have much to add other than it could be a custom made vehicle to suit someone's needs.
That's also very possible. I seem to remember a photo taken outside Memphis Equipment of a similar piece of equipment. Thought those were MC-1's though. It does look like it has a round fuel tank???