• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 to 6-5 engine swap

Lindsaym151

Hey all,
I'm looking into a engine swap, have bad 6.2 and also have brand new 6.5 short block.
What parts are interchangeable
IE-exhaust manifolds and such?
This is my 1st swaray into diesel engine swaps
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The intake manifold and exhaust manifold should swap. Provided the 6.5 you have is not a HMMWV TD or Van TD.

You said short block, so you've got a 6.5 that needs heads then right? If so, the 6.2 heads can bolt on the 6.5 block. But the lines are different for the injectors. Also you'll change the compression ratio due to the differences in the pre-cups.

Lindsaym151

I will find out more tomorrow when I get eyes on!
I used to have H1's(4) of them so I'm pretty used to the usual stuff but not to much in the power plant area of the vehicle

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 6.5 was/is the standard replacement for the 6.2, that being said, most everything will swap over...the only real area you need to concentrate on are the Injector pump, lines and injectors...the TM shows by year what pump, as well as the lines and injectors....as has been mentioned, the lines are a bit different on the early 6.2 which would be for a 4523 and 4524 pump...1990 and above had the 4179 pump, that's when the lines changed...it's just angles, so if you don't mind bent lines I believe you can make them work. The injectors is what causes this change...they went from a long body to a short body on 1990 and above.

you might want to think about going serpentine setup on the 6.5....it actually quite cheap to do.

VAMCDOC

In need a new 6.5L turbo/nonturbo naturally aspirated diesel for my 1991 HMMWV. Any suggestions or recommendations of who I should go with for an engine manufacturer that can get a quality reliable/durable replacement for my HWWMV in South Florida? Remanufactured or new? HMMWV is currently located in South Florida too so if anyone has recommendations on a diesel engine mechanic too that be great. Much obliged for the help

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
In need a new 6.5L turbo/nonturbo naturally aspirated diesel for my 1991 HMMWV. Any suggestions or recommendations of who I should go with for an engine manufacturer that can get a quality reliable/durable replacement for my HWWMV in South Florida? Remanufactured or new? HMMWV is currently located in South Florida too so if anyone has recommendations on a diesel engine mechanic too that be great. Much obliged for the help

You should really start your own parts wanted thread.

I'd call Ted's trucks in Alabama. They have the good 506 block 6.5 motors for $3k

Search 222016756149 on ebay.