• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

a 205 question or maybe more?

IMHO this was only done when the tc was a syncro type ie in a few years of the civilian release of trucks, suburbans,blazers from aprox 1985-1991 the tc came with syncro rings associated with the shift mecanism and had automatic hubs as well. These TCs also bring a premium when having one rebuilt as in a core charge 2 or 3 times the standard ie 500-1000. But ive never heard of shifting on the fly as it were in the cucv.

link below shows several tcs synchronized and non.
http://www.midwesttrans.com/NP205_Transfer_ Case.html

Last edited:

TGP (IL)

You're supposed to change from 4x4 hi to 2x4 hi while the truck is in motion?
I just read that in the manual. Can someone confirm that?
As long as the hubs are locked you can shift 4x4hi to 2x4 hi while moving, as long as a wheel is not spinning.
Hi range to Low range or Low to High you should be stopped, and with practice.
Tom

cucvrus

I always shift 2HI - 4HI & 4HI to 2HI on the fly as long if the hubs are locked in. But I am always stopped and shifted the transmission in neutral to go into 4Lo on both the 205 and the 208. I know if you don't do it in one swift shift movement you could get stuck in neutral and then the grinding will begin. Then I just shut off the engine and start over again. It works here for us.

roveroverme

Banned
This is what the TM said about this matter
(3) Shift Transfer Case from “2H” or “4H” to “4L.”
(a) Stop truck and set parking brake.
(b) Shift transmission gearshift lever to “N” (Neutral),
(c) Release parking brake.
(d) Shift transfer case control lever firmly, but not forcefully, to “4L.”
TA466607
2-55
TM 9-2320-289-10
b. Return to Two-wheel Drive from Four-wheel Drive.
(1) Return to “2H” from “4H.”
(a) Shift transmission gearshift lever to “D” (Drive) or appropriate forward gear
(b) With truck in motion, momentarily release accelerator and, firmly but not
forcefully, shift transfer case control lever according to pattern indicated on
lever.
(2) Return to “2H” or “4H” from “4L.”
(a) Stop truck and set parking brake
(b) Shift transmission gearshift lever to “N” (Neutral)
(c) Shift transfer case control lever to “2H”’ or “4H” according to pattern indicated
on lever.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks