• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A/C for Humvee

Doug D.

Anybody use on of these aftermarket split system a/c like on Amazon? They are usually used for campers or big rigs. i understand there may be a better place to get them instead of Amazon. Any thoughts?

G550

You mean the $7~800 dollar units? I wouldn’t expect them to still be working properly 8-10 months later. The Van life YouTube crowd love them cause they are cheap and easy to install but won’t do a follow video when it bricks. Expect poor bearings in the compressor and un weather proof components that will rust.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
G550,

Rather than guessing, perhaps either provide proof or relax and don’t get everyone bent out of shape. With the paucity of information you present, your comments seem misguided.

HummerH1 is getting ready to try one of these units in one of his rigs. I’m sure he will be happy to post short term and long term results.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a guy that put one in a 2 door.
Not sure this facebook link will work.

G550

G550,

Rather than guessing, perhaps either provide proof or relax and don’t get everyone bent out of shape. With the paucity of information you present, your comments seem misguided.

HummerH1 is getting ready to try one of these units in one of his rigs. I’m sure he will be happy to post short term and long term results.
Fair enough. I too was interested enough in one of the Chinese amazon kits that break down into two basic kits being sold under various names. You can get them even cheaper on Aliexpress. I did find some follow up first hand accounts that mentioned poor bearings that resulted in compressor noise after limited use over the span of 6 months. The other gripe was poor rustproofing on the condenser unit that is exposed to the elements. 99% of the products coming from China on the open market is not up to Western standards. Period. The only time you get some sort of quality control is when you have a US/EU company selling China sourced products under their strict quality control measures. Even then, the manufacturer will try to adjust the product slightly to make more profit. Anyone can look at the reviews on Amazon. They are mostly 3-4 reviews with 3 or 5 stars. Usually a quality product has at least a few hundred reviews and hopefully 4+ stars.

A $5 dollar widget at Harbor Freight I will take the risk. But something costing hundred of dollars....no thanks.

Last edited:

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A couple of friends in our group have had them for a couple of years now. They have mixed opinions on it like they have not failed so far or are making noises but during last summer they complained it did not cooled down to a comfortable temperature until after a while.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks