• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advice please: Glow plug Solenoid issue

shadpeters

Hello Everyone, I am new to this forum, and fairly new to the CUCV's. I've had a civillian 6.2 in an 89 suburban for a number of years, so I am fairly familiar with the motors, but about 9 months or so ago I picked up my first m1008 with about 26K miles on it. It now has a banks turbo on it, and and 4l80 behind now. It runs good when it will start, but thats been a problem lately.

I have had an intermittent starting issue that has gotten less intermittent and more the normal daily reality. some days It will crank and crank and crank, but not even try to fire. others it will fire right up. I can always eventually get it to start up, but I know I am being hard on both the batteries and the starter. its been bad enough and frequent enough lately that I had to dig in and figure out what the deal is. I know I am getting fuel to motor, I have checked it at the filter, and also I have white smoke coming out when it is cranking but not starting. So that led me to believe It must be glow plug related, I have one bad glow plug that is still using the oem style plug with the narrow tab, all the others have been changed over to what I assume are probably 60gs, and they have the wider tabs on them, and ohm out good. One plug should not keep me from starting, so I move on.

It is already setup with a pushbutton, so there is no relay or anything to worry about. I assumed that my solenoid was working becuase I could always here it clicking, but that was the only other thing that I could think of.

So checking the voltage on the solenoid I have 12v going to the terminal on top, but when I press the button I get very little if any voltage going to the plugs. Part of the time I was getting maybe 3 volts, part of the time nothing.

What I found through checking the solenoid was that if I pressed the button enough times, occasionaly it could here a "whining" /"humming" sound after the initial click of the solenoid, when this happened it seemed to indicate the plugs were working becuase following that sound I could fire it right up with no issues. When it made that sound I still was not geting 12v, but I was getting some voltage at least.

I would apreciate any input on this, it seems clear that something with the solenoid is bad, but its odd that I can still here it clicking every time, maybe its some type of bad connection? Also, if the solenoid is bad, does it use the same thing as a civilian model or is it different? where can I get one? since I am already on a push buttong setup, can the solenoid be bypasses somehow?
Thanks for any help/input.

shadpeters

thanks for the info. I replaced the relay yesterday, and it is starting up much much easier now. That being said, I am still only seeing about 10 volts on the bottom post of the relay, is that normal? I am wondering if it might have something to do with my one bad glow plug (I think I only have one, but I didnt check all of them on the passenger side, the turbo really gets in the way)?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glow plugs are basically resistors. You will see a voltage drop when they are energized.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks