• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air assist drag link too short

ivbeenrokd

Custom steering arm specs?

I'm installing my new steering arm and adjusting the air assist drag link and it would appear the drag link is too short. If I adjust it all the way out where there is only a half inch of penetration it will still not turn all the way to the right. Am I missing something here?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388597559.752540.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1388597570.651711.jpg

Last edited:

KsM715

Since it looks like your using a lift and a fabricated arm you have some more work to do. ( what that work entails I can't help you with, looks like trial and error time)

edit, because you've increased the arm all the swing range and distances are going to increase as well.

Last edited:

ivbeenrokd

I did a 6 inch lift on the truck. The arm is 6 inch taller but no longer So the steering location should be exactly the same as it would have been from the factory.

ivbeenrokd

Would someone be able to get me a measurement of the factory drag link ball socket to ball socket? Does anyone else with air assist have a problem with not being able to turn as far to the right as the left?

Ridgerunner

You have the room.....and it will cost you no extra money. If I were you, I'd add a gusset to add some strength. You used square tube to lengthen correct? Lots-o stress will be exerted on them bottom welds of the steering arm. Not saying yours will break, but it never hurts to over build.
gusset.jpg

100_1335.jpg

100_0326.jpg

KsM715

You failed to mention that you flipped the perches on the axle.

I think you'd be better off keeping all of your issues with the front end in one thread rather than starting a new thread for each issue you run into.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I think you'd be be better off keeping all of your issues with the front end in one thread rather than starting a new thread for each issue you run into.
As a moderator, I totally agree with KsM715s statement. It keeps the forums cleaner and also saves everyone time and effort

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I merged a couple of them.

Some members seem to be clueless about this.

It is rude and inconsiderate to all who read your threads, to not continue one thread and follow up as well.

ivbeenrokd

I think you'd be be better off keeping all of your issues with the front end in one thread rather than starting a new thread for each issue you run into.
Agreed, I actually tried to delete this thread this morning after posting the other one about moving the axle but couldn't find a way to delete it from the TapaTalk app. Is that possible? After receiving an answer on that I will delete this thread.

ivbeenrokd

You have the room.....and it will cost you no extra money. If I were you, I'd add a gusset to add some strength. You used square tube to lengthen correct? Lots-o stress will be exerted on them bottom welds of the steering arm. Not saying yours will break, but it never hurts to over build.
View attachment 471975

View attachment 471976

View attachment 471977
Thanks for the advice on that. A machinist friend of mine built it for me and the way he joined the 2 pieces he felt good about it but it never hurts to have more for strength. I'll make it a point to add at least one.

Thanks

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
if indeed it was made from square tubing, it is a very bad idea. force of steering will try to twist the tubing and that is pretty easy. it should be 3/4" material with gusset. even a 6" rise will accentuate the caster angle, so that must be taken into consideration when designing the arm.

dmetalmiki

if indeed it was made from square tubing, it is a very bad idea. force of steering will try to twist the tubing and that is pretty easy. it should be 3/4" material with gusset. even a 6" rise will accentuate the caster angle, so that must be taken into consideration when designing the arm.
Agree with the above pointers ABSALUTLY! remember modifications should (ought) to be notified.
(and) Hollow tubing??? NEVER. for what it would cost re-make solid and gusset.

ivbeenrokd

Okay, looks like this thread might should hang around after all since its now discussing steering arm build.

Mods, what do you think, rename it?

Back to the arm, this is not at all my area of expertise, that's why I had him make it for me. I really appreciate all the input and took it back to him for his opinion. The riser of the arm is made of .250 wall 2" tube that is meshed in at each end, not butt welded. My machinist works for ORNL and is going to have one of his engineers run the data and see what he comes back with. Like I said, this is not my area of expertise but I do appreciate the input and am interested to see the engineering data.

Thanks,
John

HanksDeuce

You need to chunk that puny steering riser arm before somebody gets hurt.

Attached are pictures of my riser arm that has a 8" rise over stock to account for my lift kit. The riser arm is 1" thick and has a 3/8" gusset.

Just give Blackrockfab.com a call or email and he will make you one just like mine.

Attachments