• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air compressor belt

sermis

I am in need of an air compressor belt. Mine is separating and has flipped over. Just not come off yet. 1st where is a good place to get one? 2nd what is needed to replace the belt? I have seen a wrench, which I don’t have, for removing the pulley. Can it be done w/o the wrench? Is there any real trick to replacing the belt?

devilman96

A compressor wrench is helpful but not needed, the TM covers the adjustment but its pretty simple to work out on your own. I personally suggest anti seizing everything when its apart... The part #'s are in the cross section and change all of the belts as you have to pull the other two to get to the compressor belt.

sermis

OK help on the TM. I have a slow connection and downloading each to find what i need takes for ever.
Any body have simple step by step instructiond on how to get the pully apart?

devilman96

Loosen and / or remove the two 3/8 locking / clamping bolts (9/16 head)...
Hold the rear of the compressor pulley so it can not turn...
Turn the front half of the pulley counter clockwise to loosen...

devilman96

Break free, PB Plaster, etc... let it soak overnight... Generally once they start moving it's pretty easy but age and rust can make the first turn a royal PITA.

You MAY need to drive a chisel or screw driver in between the tension slots located in item 25 to help spread the ears if the 3/8ths locking bolts have been over tightened or if its really frozen from age, generally the vibration of tapping on the part helps the penetrating oil get into the tight spots and it come loose easily there after. Be careful doing this as the part is cast and will crack!

Once it starts to move you will figure out how its all held together and how simplistic it all is.

EDIT... Anti Seize between items 22 and 25 will save you the aggravation of getting this to move in the future!!

m38inmaine

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought one from the above seller, package arrived empty, filed lost article report with po :( , contacted above seller, said was not insured, wanted $15 more :eek: to send another,pay-pal said it was insured, had to file a claim with pay-pal, a month or so later I got my money back from paypal.

sermis

8 posts, Yahoo e-mail account, no information in profile, empty package??? I would like to say honest but there is a lot of doubt!!! Maybe he will pony up and make it right……

houdel

m38inmaine said:
I bought one from the above seller, package arrived empty, filed lost article report with po :( , contacted above seller, said was not insured, wanted $15 more :eek: to send another,pay-pal said it was insured, had to file a claim with pay-pal, a month or so later I got my money back from paypal.
Don't be too quick to blame the seller. I've sold some 100+ Deuce wheel lug nut combo sockets between Epay and my classified ad in SS. I've been shipping them in the flat rate envelope at $4.05, vs $8.10 for the flat rate box. Problem is, a a 3-1/2 pound, 2-1/4" diameter x 4" long socket does not fit in a flat envelope very well. So I've tried a number of inside packaging schemes to keep the flat rate envelope reasonably "flat". The lady at the local post office has been been fairly tolerant with me, although I have been severly bending the rules using the flat rate envelope. I've brought her enough business that they finally installed a restroom in the PO, instead of the outside Port-A-John that they used to have (I live in a VERY small community, with a VERY small PO. My double wide is about twice the size of the post office!)

To get back to the point, most of my internal packaging has worked out quite well. Some of my earlier attempts at packaging were pretty primitive, so I did have one customer who received an empty flat rate envelope with a tear on one side and with nothing inside it. I promptly sent him another socket, better packaged this time. He did receive the second socket OK.

So the problem you had might not have been the seller, it could have been damaged and lost in the PO system. It DOES happen!

rdixiemiller

I shipped 2 golf cart wheels and tires, bolted together with a piece of 1/2" all thread and self locking nuts. You guessed it, only one arrived, and the wheel had been severely bent. This was UPS, not USPS. The box was completely gone, however, I had put my return address on one of the wheels, so it came back to me. Never had any luck with my claim against UPS. They refused to accept any blame, even though the items were boxed and shipped at my local UPS store. I usually ship USPS now, since Brown has Pi**ed me off.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Listen to this:

I work for a company that sells aftermarket wheels and tires (mounted and balanced). We wrap the combo in cardboard, foam and stretch wrap it. It's big and heavy.

FedEx LOSES them all the time.

Blythewoodjoe

I changed mine with a couple of pipe wrenches. You just have to be careful because a pipe wrench squeezes and you don't want to squeeze the other half in the area you want it to because looser. It's obvious if you look at it close. It's a very simple design that a lot old tractors used when I was a kid. The wrenches would be nice too.

Joe Trapp

Michael

I just got through reading the TM on doing this and it tells you to remove the radiator. Is anybody doing this or do most of you replace the belt without removing it?