• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison PTO

MatthewWBailey

Father, Husband and Barn Hermit
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holy @#$% !
No sense in putting $$ into a hydraulic or electric recovery winch on front or back that'll never get used. This is an M9-18b 30k Braden unit with the rope drums.

I don't really get stuck but it seems like wherever I drive, other people get stuck. So this'll be better all around. Plus, I can also setup a gin pole crane to lift stuff around the ranch without renting a crane. I have some well drill casing that'll serve nicely. My uncle used to have a '48 dodge power wagon 4x4 with a gin pole and we used that all the time. Useful and portable.

Skyhawk13205

I just did a winch SRW install on my truck, the PTO was the hardest part, it is very hard to access the bolts without the bed removed, I used a 10mm 12point torque adapter extension to get to the PTO bolts, also you need to get the PTO install kit that has the right bolts and studs.

after I installed it it started to leak, I think during the install I got some grit between the gasket and transmission and the metal gasket and cannot hold the oil back.

trying to put the PTO in almost requires 4 hands, 2 to hold because it is heavy, 1 to hold gasket and 1 to-get the bolt in. The work area only allows 2 hands.

Also you need to remove the front driveline and suggest you remove the cross bar to get better access. I didn’t remove it and it was very difficult to install. The whole area is really messy due to the driveline flinging off excess grease in the area and is coated with dirt, if you have a hotsy it might help to keep dirt out of the gasket area and out of the transmission.

if you have an A1 with the arctic kit installed it should have the wiring for the PTO already installed.

MatthewWBailey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also you need to remove the front driveline and suggest you remove the cross bar to get better access
Thank you👍. I knew about the driveshaft removal from another thread I read. That's good to know about the cross member. I had that off this last time to tighten TC bolts. easy enough to pull it.

The pto I bought has hardware but not sure if it's an install kit exactly. I'll have to verify. Also not sure if this truck ever had an arctic kit. I see the wiring in the schematic so maybe I can trace it's possible existence.

Wingnut13

As I recall, there were two studs on the trans side that I hung the gasket on. I also used copper gasket spray to ensure a good seal. Of course cleaning the area first is a critical step.

MatthewWBailey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As I recall, there were two studs on the trans side that I hung the gasket on. I also used copper gasket spray to ensure a good seal. Of course cleaning the area first is a critical step.
The stud alignment method works on other stuff. I had to do that on my Cat 3304 because it has a scavenger pan above the oil pan with a double gasket. The studs really make the gasket install possible.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks