• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator Pulley Question

DXTAC

I replaced the DS alternator about 3 months ago and recently Mongo developed a squeal of sorts. Well I learned that when I went to pick up the new alternator the guy at NAPA had installed my fan and pulley for me but neglected to add the lock washer. Over time the pulley began to spin free and started squealing and opening up. I took the nut off and the threads on the shaft and the nut were toast! The threads are cross threaded and the pulley now wobbles. I brought the alternator back to NAPA and he agreed to pay for a new pulley and replace the Wilson alternator without issue. The question I have is this, the pulley he ordered is 3.3 inches and the one that came on the truck is 2.8 inches. Will that difference in diameter matter? Won't the alternator spin at a slightly rate? Will it be okay???

Thanks in advance,

DXTAC

I went to an alternator/starter rebuild place and they gave me the pulley, spacer, lock washer and nut for FREE!! All back together and purring like a kitten, well tiger maybe.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At what rpm, does the polarity change?

Do you have a brother named Bret?

TCUCV

I went to an alternator/starter rebuild place and they gave me the pulley, spacer, lock washer and nut for FREE!! All back together and purring like a kitten, well tiger maybe.
Glad to hear you got your truck back on the road...now its time to go have some fun![thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks