• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another home made glow plug removal method

Barrman

There are several glow plug removal tools on the market. Searching through thread about this subject also brings up some home made solutions. One thing all methods have in common is that they don't always work. Sometimes the plugs do break off and the injector has to be removed so the pieces can be fished out.

With that in mind, I figured I really didn't have anything to loose by trying my own idea. Vice grip on the glow plug and a slide hammer hooked to the vice grip. 2 gentle slides and the plug was out. Pictures are below.

Just a side note. I put this plug in a few days ago just to test fire the engine. It is a 24V plug and I had 24 volts to it for no longer than 10 seconds at a time. It was not swollen when I put it in. Of the 8, all do not work now and 3 have swollen. That means at least 3 of them did work enough for me to start the engine.

Another side note. I also have a CUCV pull out engine that had Welman 70 plugs in it. 2 were swollen when I pulled them out. The other 6 get to glowing red in less than 2 seconds on 24 volts. I put them in the HMMWV pull out engine so I could test fire it and they did the job without swelling.

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the suggestion.

It turns out Timo247's truck has 2 working glowplugs so we'll be replacing all of his. Four of them were replaced with the bullet style ends using connectors from the spade fittings and ending in alligator clips. This truck came from Camp Mabry. WTH were they thinking?

edit: Made my response before I saw Keith's. That's the one we're doing.

Barrman

I think it would depend on the size of your slide shaft. I do realize the ones that will be swollen are probably #5 and #7 which means you can't do much. That situation I think needs the real tool or maybe a vice grip to let a pry bar grab onto.

My back up idea to the one used was to take a 1/2" drill chuck to grab the glow plug and then attach either a puller to it or a slide hammer. The exhaust manifold will need to be removed for a large collet type chuck to get on the glow plug though. Not something to be done in the truck.

Based on everything you two have written about this M1009. The soft return lines are going to need replacing anyway. Might as well buy a set of the sleeved slip on tubing from Badger Diesel. Then when you come across a swollen plug, pull the injector and do the rag down the hole break off method. Chances are the injector/line connection is going to have rust/crud in there anyway.

sandcobra164

I used the OTC tool to unthread 6 swollen plugs in my truck. Swapped all of them with AC 60G. 2 months later, I had the same issue but only 4 swollen plugs. I removed the resistor bank from the firewall and wired the glow plug relay to the main 12V terminal on the firewall and have had no issues in 2 years. I didn't come up with the idea, I read it on here but I consider it the 1st thing you should do if you have a CUCV. After removing a few swollen plugs or worse, wasting money replacing and swelling up a few more plugs, you'll try this 5 minute fix.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks