• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are there variations to Stanadyne 80 drain plugs?

sandsock

So the first thing I do when I get my 1986 USFWS M1008 home via uhaul transporter is address the Water in Fuel light by draining the Stanadyne brick filter. In my excitement of getting the same truck that I drove during my enlisted days and vaguely familiar to the 1974 K20 that my dad let me drive in high school (when I wasn't grounded and then had to ride the bus), I hadn't even yet found Steel Soldiers or bought a gently used Chilton manual. So I stripped out the threads of the drain plug in the process and when I went to the local Chevy dealership to replace it, their plug was exactly the same as the air purge and not the kind tbat was black plastic with the drain hose in the middle. It didn't work and I was frustrated until it occurred to me I should have had them look at the 1985 or 84 diagram because maybe they changed and mine (being made in 9/85) perhaps had an older style one (if there is such a thing)?

20171125_132712.jpg

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please ad a state to your location, as the rules requested.

All parts and part numbers are listed in the parts TMs.

All CUCVs are made to 1984 specs.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome! Its good to hear you got your old truck back. Dog head is correct. All parts are tor a 1884 model. Is yours stripped where you can't drain the fuel? Or you can't close the valve? Id bet some one on here has a few laying around that you could get from them. We get parts from each other quite a bit around here,

sandsock

Thx guys for the info

Location is outside JB Lewis-McChord but interestingly truck came from a wildlife refuge on the Columbia River. Fuel was freely draining out the drain tube after starting it up and tightening more did not stop it. Taking it out showed it had been cross threaded, maybe a time or two before me but after the large waterfowl pursuit with the 1986 version proved unsuccessful, I tried Teflon tape and it seems to be holding. My wife is concerned that its not a long term solution but I'm thinking some type of spin on filter is my eventual long term solution because the 80 seems be to designed to prove Murphys Law.

I take it the TMs have the manufacturer parts numbers (like many weapon TMs)?