• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aux Tank Location MEP802

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have two locations for the aux tank (semi truck diesel tank) and should probably get to it since the rest of the necessary fittings, valve, and filter are inbound.

Location 1 is roughly level with the onboard tank - shouldn't be much trouble for the generator to pull fuel. PRO: easy fill-ups from the fuel cans.

Location 2 is about 3' higher than the onboard tank, and the bottom of the aux tank in this location is about even with the top of the generator. It should gravity feed excellently from this spot. CON: a little harder to get to it to refill from fuel cans.

Thoughts? I'm leaning towards Location 2 since that spot is about useless for much else.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the tank is in place and I ran the generator off the 1 gallon or so in it.

It'll leak-check all night to make sure all the fittings are sealed up well.

It only took about two dozen trips to home depot to round up all the small parts.

AuxTank4.jpgAuxTank2.jpgAuxTank1.jpgAuxTank3.jpg

Ray70

Looks good, but I have to say anything that can gravity drain ( leak ) always scares me for some reason.
Hopefully this is somewhere close that you see it daily.
Although simply keeping the valve closed when not is use should eliminate 99% chances of failure.
Only other thing I'd keep an eye on is the possibility of the head pressure slowly leaking past the aux. pump and overflowing the main tank when the aux. tank is full.

Chainbreaker

Should be quite handy & functional! However, I always consider the "what ifs" as it might relate to environmental factors such as things like potential earthquakes, soil disturbances, etc. You might consider some type of band or chain around the tank diameter and have it tied to driven ground anchor(s) just in case. 🤞

Also, in your 2nd picture that square area looks like a patch was made. The only thing that appears concerning to me is that it looks like I see applicator marks in what appears to be grey epoxy? If that was on top of the tank I wouldn't have much concern, though being on side of tank "if" it was an actual patch I hope that it was welded in place, and someone applied epoxy afterward on top for some reason...?

Last edited:

2Pbfeet

+1 on moving the tank lower, and strapping it down, even though it eats up some precious back yard space. Puget Sound would qualify as a active seismic zone in my book. I would also think about secondary containment, as remediation for leaks is pricey. A guy I know had a $100k bill for a 50 gallon diesel leak that happened near a lake/reservoir.

All the best,

2Pbfeet

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks