• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bad sprag...driveable?

Lorax

OK, posting this for s friend with an 816. There is suspicion that the 816's sprag could be bad. Apparently, one day there was a loud BANG noise, and now when driving in soft dirt/mud and trying to turn, the front wheels don't turn the truck...the truck just plows forward. Now, this guy and his brother have owned this 816 for a number of years, and they know about the "don't roll backwards in N/1st, and don't roll forward in R" deal. The thought is the sprag may have gotten stuck while backing up and didn't release when going forward.

So here's a couple questions:
1. Is it OK to drive the 816 if the front driveshaft is removed until the sprag can be repaired/replaced?
2. Is there a way to test if the sprag is indeed bad?

Thanks

jwaller

it's fine to drive but to be safe remove the front driveshaft.

there are lots of tests for the sprag. a search will net them for you.

Westech

CPL
My sprag wend crap on me too.... the front sprag is locked on. I took the shaft out and its not all that bad of a job to swap out the front sprag and out put shaft. like that was stated.. take out the drive shaft and drive her.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jack up all axles, spin the rears, and the front should kick in after 1.5 turns (make sure you have air).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks