• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery tender needed

Ronbo

Hey Guys , I was wanting to put a battery tender on my pick-up. 24 volt ( 1028 ) , Where is the best place to get one asap.. Thanks

Hammer

Get two cheaper 12v ones. You will be better off in the long run.
I have, and like my 24v solargizers, but they don't do much for 'charging'. Just maintaining.

wsucougarx

Yah, in fact someone in here called the folks who made Solargizer and they also said to use two 12v solargizers instead of a single 24v. For what reason, I don't know

Hammer

Having chargers for each battery is best because it will independently charge each one. Which means it will only charge as much as needed for that one battery, and once it is full, it will either apply a trickle/maintenance charge, or stop charging altogether (depends on the type of charger).
A single 24v charger can only see the combined voltage of BOTH batteries, and cannot apply a specific charge to either one.
What that means is, one battery will get more charge then the other. When the higher voltage battery reaches it's peak charge, all excess amperage will be turned into heat. This isn't too big of a deal if you are using a very low amperage trickle charger, but anything more then a trickle will cause too much heat, and boil the battery.

Solargizers are similar in aspect, but the 12v versions will also do a better job of actually charging the batteries, rather then the 24v version that is really just there for desulfation, etc.

Clear as mud?

Hammer

Oh, and I was one of those people who talked with the people at Solargizer about using two 12v setups rather then a single 24v.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMHO, that would only apply to de-sulfation devices that also charge (120 VAC versions), the basic solargizer just sends a high frequency pulse thru the cells to reduce sulfation. There isn't enough power from solar panel to restore charge to a partially discharged battery.

Hammer

Yes and no. The main use is still the desulfation. But with two of them, you just doubled the amount of amperage going into the system.
Add to that, the 12v versions are easily had in 2 to 6 watt versions. And while that is only 250mah to 1,000 mah, it is actually enough to SLOWLY charge a battery.
Not the best way to do it by any means, but it will put a better charge to the system then the single 24v version.
Your are correct though, I would still charge the batteries with larger chargers before letting the solargizers do their work at maintaining them.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hammer, can the 2-12v chargers be hooked up like normal with no "isolating" diode or anything between the batteries? I thought about using 2 12s but I was worried about the circuitry of the charges "sensing" the voltage from the 2nd battery.