• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battle of the Bulge, 27Jan-1Feb09

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dress warm? I wish I was closer, I have read alot about the battle and would like to visit the site. Anyone read Band of Brothers?

LanceRobson

As said, dress warm and be prepared for whatever the forecast is. there is one set peice battle staged where visitors can see it (check the schedule) but most of the tactical activity is "free play" out in the training areas. The Civil Air Patrol runs a pretty good food concession out of one of the mess halls. Also, the barracks and vendor area is about 200 yards from and across the road from a recreation center with a pretty good short order kitchen. Use the Anneville, PA exit off of I81 and follow the signs to the main post entrance. There will be signs pointing the way to the barraks area, which is near the visitor parking. If you miss the signs.....Go 1/2-3/4 mile onto the post, you'll pass a small PX center on the left, followed by the All-Ranks Club. Just after that there is a WWI era French 40/8 rail car sitting in the point of an intersection. If you take a very sharp left turn there,so that the airstrip fence in on your right side, and head up that road, you'll find the barracks area is on the right. As of my last visit, Fort Indiantown gap is an "open post", without security gate. Due to a state highway crossing it and it's layout I doubt that will change. They do have an active police presence so don't park somewhere just because somebody else has. Use the marked parking areas. The barracks area backs up to some small arms ranges and they have some staffed by trained safety folks to let the re-enactors test fire their weapons, both with blanks and ball. I don't know of any other facility where re-enactors can fire ball ammo. Much of the vendor area is WWII focused with a lot of good repro Allied and Axis uniforms and equipment for sale. A few vendors, like us, specialize in genuine WWII GI and Marine gear and uniforms. There are a number of more eclectic vendors who have a variety or military and period items, including civilian clothing. There are also some very good book dealers with a great selection of general interest military and reference books (MVs too). For re-enactors, staff and vendors, there is a period themed dinner, dance and party at the All Ranks Club on Saturday night. You'll see the usual US, UK, German and Italian uniforms along with Russian, Balkan and some pretty uncommon stuff. The number of period MVs, as expected, fluctuates. Last year there was a Tiger I trucked in. It's the first time I ever saw one run under it's own power. All in all, it's well worth a day or two. Lance

LanceRobson

Well folks it's New Year's Eve and I'd like to wish everybody a safe and happy new year....

It's getting closer to this show. We'll be arriving on 27Jan and returning 1FEB. If anyone needs something hauled between central NY and the show, or back, speak up. The current plan is to take 2 M1008s with a trailer or 2, but I could switch to the F-350 and gooseneck if someone needs something hauled.

We may run to Chambersburg and will be able to preview anything that's up for sale at Annville, PA. (FIG)

Lance

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the show allow the public to show up one any other day than the battle? I have heard in the past that if you didnt register way in advance, tthey wouldnt let you walk around. And I dont mean participate in the battle, which is understandable.... I mean they wouldnt even let you go to the barracks to shop..... Their website says the public can only come for the batte day on the 31st from 10-2..

LanceRobson

It looks like OLDCHEV4X4 will be there Saturday and CARNAC may do a "drive by" instead of spending too much time due to the new baby.

I don't know who else will be there.

I'll be leaving at O'Dark-Thirty tomorrow and returning Sunday, 01FEB09. We've got slave cables and a tow bar.

If anyone needs a hand, my cell # is 315-374-3587

Lance

davesbf

went last year just to visit vendor barracks,well worth trip,no advance notice was needed for vendor area.most stuff is ww2,which for this show is normal.parked about 50 yards from vendors.:roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks