• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best Way to Power 12V Ham Radio Box

tjonesdfw

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trying to work through how to wire in some Anderson Power Poles to power a portable shack in a box style ham/gmrs radio setup. I’ve heard the generally accepted maximum 12V draw off the rear battery is about 10amps so that’s out of the question. The box will have its own internal battery and solar controller for use out of the truck, but radio box build is in progress too so it could be modified if that would help somehow. I don’t think our 70amp Orion converter would handle the load unless all the other accessories are turned off… i.e. no cameras, stereo, or off road lights when radios are on. Have contemplated adding a third deep cycle battery under the rear passenger seat just to power the radios, but not sure how best to charge it… could you run a second 24V to 12V converter just to charge the third battery? Anyone else have a similar setup and mind sharing how they wired things up? Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I like the idea of a sine wave 24-12Volt power inverter to isolate you and protect you from the potentially harsh HMMWV electric climate.

CamO is most qualified to ask about this.

tjonesdfw

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the idea of a sine wave 24-12Volt power inverter to isolate you and protect you from the potentially harsh HMMWV electric climate.

CamO is most qualified to ask about this.
I’ve considered one of the slave plug inverters, but then I’d have to run a power supply to get back to 12V. Also considered just charging the 12V LifePo battery in the radio box with a low amp 12V circuit instead of powering the radios with the truck.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve considered one of the slave plug inverters, but then I’d have to run a power supply to get back to 12V. Also considered just charging the 12V LifePo battery in the radio box with a low amp 12V circuit instead of powering the radios with the truck.
Unless you are running continuous digital modes or my wife is talking on the radio the actual average load is rather small so I would run them off of the 12V tap

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since you already have one Orion converter installed, you can always add a second one. Victron website says that you can run up to 5 of them in parallel for additional power output.

tjonesdfw

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since you already have one Orion converter installed, you can always add a second one. Victron website says that you can run up to 5 of them in parallel for additional power output.
I guess the only advantage there is you keep both batteries balanced vs pulling off the rear battery alone for the radios? Wasn’t aware you could run the Victron in parallel though… good to know if I really ever need that much more power. I have heard about guys running a separate Victron to charge a deep cycle battery that they run equipment off of when the truck is off. Just seemed like a lot of work for periodic radio use.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess the only advantage there is you keep both batteries balanced vs pulling off the rear battery alone for the radios? Wasn’t aware you could run the Victron in parallel though… good to know if I really ever need that much more power. I have heard about guys running a separate Victron to charge a deep cycle battery that they run equipment off of when the truck is off. Just seemed like a lot of work for periodic radio use.
It all really depends on your end goal. Running to a third battery does allow you to run equipment with the engine off without worrying about draining your starting batteries, which is very important in some situations. In this situation running a second Orion converter to use as the charger for the third battery would be the way to go.
If you are primarily using it while running the engine, then the third battery is unimportant, especially if the radio box has it's own internal battery. Just adding an addition Orion charger either in parallel to the first, or to it's own dedicated Anderson plug is less complicated and cheaper.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
It all really depends on your end goal. Running to a third battery does allow you to run equipment with the engine off without worrying about draining your starting batteries, which is very important in some situations. In this situation running a second Orion converter to use as the charger for the third battery would be the way to go.
If you are primarily using it while running the engine, then the third battery is unimportant, especially if the radio box has it's own internal battery. Just adding an addition Orion charger either in parallel to the first, or to it's own dedicated Anderson plug is less complicated and cheaper.
I am re-posting my PM to help add to the confusion or help others understand. (y) Many way to go about it :unsure: 💡

Your M1123 with a dual output alternator with the 14 volt balancing tap connected correctly and quality batteries is the easiest, most reliable, cost effective. IMO

That alternator with the tap connect is capable of 50 amps. I would not be concerned one bit .. IMO. It will / should handle any Ham, GMRS, CB requiring 12 - 14 volt. These sets on receive / stand-by draw an amp or so... Peanuts.

Now transmitting (and this can vary) will be higher. Say a 50 watt FM transmitter (HAM, GMRS) in the range of 10 to 15 amps and note this is intermittent only when key down. This duty cycle again is peanuts as the battery is doing the work and during receive the alternator is charging.

I see a FT-991 all mode rig and again on receive a couple of amps ... No biggie. On transmit and depending on the mode CW, AM, FM, SSB and again power settings and duty cycle, same story. SSB and CW on the HF bands, wide open, peak power RF output of 100 watts, might see 24 amps and that's on voice peaks / key down, dit's & dah's. So the short / duty cycles of transmitting, instantaneous load on the battery, one would have to talk all day and night with the engine off. LOL

Having a third 12 volt accessories only battery, would / could isolate the vehicle for starting. That could be done with a simple / cost solenoid for isolation to powering just radios / lights... allowing for "get out of dodge" starting. Operation could be under "RUN" or manual switch control / cheap.

I would not go down the rabbit hole or money pit in a design that not needed when having a dual output alternator. All ready have the BIG BUCKS set up.

Some of the voodoo all around 12 volts in HumV's falls to the 60 amp units in old M998's. That was a problem to balance the two batteries when the obvious was to connect to the rear 12 volt battery turned into a balancing act mess. That's where the Orion / converters would be the solution in this case.

Camera's, radios, stereo unless it is a mega 500 + watt mega blaster rockin the neighborhood NO problem IMO.

Lights (don't know what Ya got) but LED's are very low as compared to incandescent so some simple calculations will put you in the ballpark.

Watch out charging the internal radio box battery. Nice set up by the way (y). Should have it's own battery regulator (ideal) and follow standard good practice with DC circuits... Fuses, wire gauge, connectors, etc.

Hope this helps.

That's my shocking approach ⚡, CAMO

Last edited:

spankybear

I have no ideal what QRM/EMI this would have but I would be looking for something like this...

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have no ideal what QRM/EMI this would have but I would be looking for something like this...

No where does that say it is a sign wave inverter

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I am going to ask this question... Cuz I want to understand the need for converting down to 12 Volts when dual voltage alternator rigs can handle an extra couple of amps say 5-6 and a peak current of 25 amps for the back and forth time one would only be transmitting.

It's a two-way thing... not continuous on. Am I con-fused ? don't answer that

And as for EMI, QRM, RFI, BS Noise....Great question.

OK... someone school me. I'am going back to my desk and lay my head down, CAMO

spankybear

I am going to ask this question... Cuz I want to understand the need for converting down to 12 Volts when dual voltage alternator rigs can handle an extra couple of amps say 5-6 and a peak current of 25 amps for the back and forth time one would only be transmitting.

It's a two-way thing... not continuous on. Am I con-fused ? don't answer that

And as for EMI, QRM, RFI, BS Noise....Great question.

OK... someone school me. I'am going back to my desk and lay my head down, CAMO
I would use this if I wanted to power a 12 volt load. Yes there is a dual voltage alternator but if I was going to install a HAM radio (say a nice Icom, Yaesue or Kenwood) I believe it would protect the radio. The only real load on the 12 volt side of the alt is the TCM and they doesn't take a large load. Also there are some converters that you can adjust the "output" like to 13.6 volts or whatever.

I have used DC to DC converters at work and they are rock solid and clean with no EMI noise. But these are industrial and $$$$$$$.

I have been looking at DC to DC converters as I want to get rid of that dam 400 amp alt. I was looking at smaller alt that is only 24 volt. Then power the TCM with a DC to DC converter. Just thinking and have other priorities at the moment...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks