• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BlizzardX23's Complete M35A2 Restore

BlizzardX23

Hey guys, been a while since I've been on here...been soooo extremely busy with school lately. I'm about half way done with school now (getting my BS) Seems like all I have left after this next quarter is my senior project...which will take about a year to complete.

Anyways...I'm wanting to go through the Deuce and bring it back to 100%

I'm planning on working my way from the back, to the front...starting with the tail lights.

I say working from back to front so that I can get some simple stuff done without missing anything. Plus, the rear of the truck is pretty simple with only 2 axles and brake lights. If anyone has any advice/opinions...please let me know...I'm going to need and appreciate the help! Been a while since I worked on these trucks or used the TMs/LOs

I'll Post pictures to document the progress as I go

Madfarmersson

Sounds like fun, are you setting it up as an vietnam era truck?
Take before pics.
Post a photo of your M35 so we can see what you are starting with.
I just fixed my rear axel seals in mine, it was not hard, but still a big job.
Have fun.:grd:

Madfarmersson.

BlizzardX23

Thanks. I'll be sure to post pics. I had to fix my rear axle gasket a couple months ago..Just the paper gasket because it was leaking into my rims...used hi-temp RTV instead. Was easy...left the wheel on..unbolted the axle...cleaned it up, RTV'd it and put it back together...lost fluid though...Also replaced a dogbone around the same time... (that was a b!tch)

Was driving the truck to school on Wednesday...on the way home, heard a grinding sound around 45-50mph...sounded familiar...just went outside and saw that I wasted ANOTHER dogbone...I guess when one goes, they all decide to go around the same time lol

Plus...for some reason, my brakes are going out also...It works...then I lose them...then they work again...looks like the truck won't be on the road again till I get the safety/brake issue resolved...cant go putting everyone in danger

Danm these trucks are a lot of work haha

Last edited:

Madfarmersson

Nice, real nice man.
I have never had brake troubles, I do need to rebuild my air pack,
I am leaking brake fluied through my air discharg. So you use yours to
drive to school, do you get a lot of look's? I was home schooled and not going to
college, so I never got the chance to take mine, But I do take mine fishing.

A lot of work, but even more FUN!:driver:

Madfarmersson.

BlizzardX23

Yea, its fun....I'm in digital filmmaking so lots of people want to use it either to be in short films...or, what I wanna do is turn it into a Grip Truck (Film equipment truck)

But yea, lots of looks through town when I drive it. Wednesday was actually the first time I drove it in a couple of months...now I have some work to do before I put it back out on the street

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea, its fun....I'm in digital filmmaking so lots of people want to use it either to be in short films...or, what I wanna do is turn it into a Grip Truck (Film equipment truck)

But yea, lots of looks through town when I drive it. Wednesday was actually the first time I drove it in a couple of months...now I have some work to do before I put it back out on the street
Seems to me that if you want it for a grip truck, you'd want the shop truck version so you could better secure your gear and keep it dry. Just a thought. Or you could do what we did with our shop deuce. We didn't have a shop truck so we got a set of the high ribs, lined the underside of the bows with the fiberglass sheeting like the inside of a semi trainler, and just framed the ends with 2x4's and plywood. The back end had a regular steel door (like from a house), and the tailgate acted like a little porch when you let it down. You could have additional material added to the side of the cargo cover and it would look completely stock except for the door in the rear, but you could lenghten the cover back there too.

BlizzardX23

Alright guys...been busy with school again. I'd like to order my parts this weekend. I've done plenty of searches (google and SS) and I've found Torque Rod Ends for $68 plus shipping...wondering if you guys have suggestions on cheaper parts? Lemme know...and I'll keep you guys posted on my progress

btw...I just watched "The Expendables"....its kool to see the Deuce used in all these movies lol

BlizzardX23

Interesting...it looks like they(whoever owned the truck before me) removed the old switch and capped it off...but never installed a new switch? just cut the wires and let them hang? What do you guys think?

Attachments

BlizzardX23

Well..I added the air switch, and new wires and I now have brake lights...looks as if this truck hasn't had brake lights in years...Also, I fixed my air horn by installing new plugs/wires also.

Whoever owned this truck before me really screwed it up...there are Napa/Auto zone wire connectors on the brake light wires, and the air horn wires...both situations were bad...so I cleaned them up..extended new/clean wires, and added the military plugs to them. They work great now!

Im going to try to tackle another dogbone today (the other *top* dogbone)...get it removed and ready for the new one which will arrive on Monday. Then soon, I'll be starting on my grip (film equipment) cage for the back.

BlizzardX23

Just an update for whoever is following this...Finally got the other dogbone out...After spending last night swinging away at the torque rod end...trying to break it loose from the frame...Then using the torch and trying again, it finally just came out 10 minutes ago...This will make for a fast install...Ill be getting the new dog bone assy. 2moro, install it...then I will have to start tackling all the leaks...looks like there are SEVERAL seals through the truck needing to be replaced...because it is WET underneath...I'll post some pics today

AGE|kshaufl

You stated that your brakes were intermittent.

Build yourself a pressure bleeder and bleed the brakes.

After that I would disconnect, after bleeding down the air, the lines to your airpack, place a few drops of airtool oil in each of the openings on the airpack, reattach and try it out. I had the same issue with mine and it was just a little gunk in there. Once I worked the brakes a little it was fine.

I also flushed the airpack, after I got it working, with methanol and added a couple more drops of tool oil again. They are 100% now.

Keep us informed.

BlizzardX23

You stated that your brakes were intermittent.

Build yourself a pressure bleeder and bleed the brakes.

After that I would disconnect, after bleeding down the air, the lines to your airpack, place a few drops of airtool oil in each of the openings on the airpack, reattach and try it out. I had the same issue with mine and it was just a little gunk in there. Once I worked the brakes a little it was fine.

I also flushed the airpack, after I got it working, with methanol and added a couple more drops of tool oil again. They are 100% now.

Keep us informed.

Awesome...I'll definitely do that! I really appreciate it, thanks!