• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blue Ridge Parkway MV Road Rally

MDSA

Blue Ridge Parkway MV Road Rally

Mark your calendars for the first Blue Ridge Parkway MV Road Rally. June 11-13. We will take a leisurely drive up from Morganton to the Parkway, then south to Mt Mitchell, go back north to camp at Linville Falls, and then go on to the Virginia line via the Parkway to camp again Saturday night. We’ll pass Lake James, hike the Falls, climb the tallest mountain east of the Mississippi (a very easy 15 minute walk on a sidewalk to the top), stop at various overlooks - too many possibilities to list.

Friday morning we will meet at AMGeneral’s place to line up – hopefully leaving by 9:00am. From there we will go through Morganton to Hwy 105, a steep gravel road with plenty of gullies. A good test of the trucks – make sure your 6 wheel drive works!! There may be a stop at Lake James on the way. Hwy 105 parallels the Linville Gorge. We plan to stop at Wiseman’s View for a grand view of the gorge. Then on to the Blue Ridge Parkway heading south to Mt. Mitchell for lunch. We will group camp Friday night at Linville Falls Campground.

Saturday you can sleep in or hike 30 odd minutes to the Linville Falls – a very worthwhile view! Then we head north on the Parkway stopping at various overlooks, picking one for lunch, while making our way to the Virginia line.

Meals are pretty much on your own though there is sure to be a lot of sharing.

Shirts?? I know a guy who can do a good job on shirts but don’t ask me to design one. I like what Neil did for Uhwarrie last year. Any shirt ideas/interest??

AMGeneral

Folks, Just a quick post,anyone is welcome to participate BUT,we'll probably have to limit our vehicle size to 5 tons and below,nothing overwidth.

Depending on how many show up we may also break up into several serial groups for traffic purposes,so as not to antagonize the public,I'll hold a short "drivers meeting" Friday morning to assign serial commanders and set up communication between each.

I'll have my VRC 12 setup in the Deuce or 5 ton if anyone wants to bring their military radios,otherwise I'll have a couple small radios to use between serials.

Brian,MT rebel and I will probably drive the route a week or 2 before to check our stops and campsites as well as any overlooks that can accomidate several large vehicles.

Rest assured,we will be OKing this with the National park service beforehand,since these are not commercial vehicles,I don't forsee any problems.

A thread wil be started soon to sign up so we can get an idea of how many vehicles to expect.

ctmustang

Man I wish I could go but alreaady have plans to be in Orlando with the family for a week and a half - you know the Disney and Sea World thing. I would definately be in for the next trip.
CT

CGarbee

Shame that you are not holding this one week later... I'll be in Haspin this weekend...
Of course, by the time I drive out there and back, my but will be a tad sore...

Have fun, that route is a great one with a lot of photo ops.

MDSA

Vette,

Sorry it took so long to get back tp you. 5T means payload. I plan to take the Deuce, well over 5T curb weight.

Hope to see you there.

MDSA

AMGeneral and I were talking Thursday about postponing this event. Unless we get a sudden surge of interest, consider the rally postponed until...??

Maybe we can plan it better around other events next time.