• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Braden Winch Problems

slk

Ok guys I just got through a week of **** trying to get the yoke off of the winch for the PTO. The shear pin was sheared for sure so that was not a wasted effort. I got it all put back together and the winch is doing the same thing as before. It will wind about one turn on the drum and turn loose, and then if you don't put any pressure on the cable it will wind it up. The min you add any tension is slips, and then will start up again. Originally I was pulling a log and it slipped, and I thought the shear pin would solve the problem, but it has not. Any suggestions are welcome. I took the cable off the winch to lighten the load because I am sure I will have to tear into the winch or have someone look at it. Let me know guys what I should look at next..

Thanks
Steve

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the bull gear has the teeth stripped off. Drain the oil and see what comes out.

slk

Actually the shifter fork had a 1/2" play in it. Letting the dogs disengage. I have the set screw tight again and there is no slop in it now. At least that is what I have found thus far. I have everything cleaned/dressed up. I will put it back together tomorrow and see if it solved the problem.

Steve

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
slk, interested to know if tightening the set screw fixed the problem. We all appreciate updates to posts that might help us with a problem.

slk

I have it back together. It was much easier to put that right side back on with the winch stood up on the left side. That way you will not have that spacer slip out of place. It slid back on with ease that way. I had been waiting for some ISO 460. Had a company named ZORO ship me a gallon. I have filled the right side with a quart of the stuff and I also topped of the steering box with it too. I have not had a good day to put the cable back on yet. We have had rain and some snow last week, and it has turned off cold . I did run the winch yesterday after filling with gear oil and it ran smooth and quiet. The real test will be when the cable is back on though. That is a 2 man job so I will need some help. If I get it on this weekend I will report back with the results.

Steve

slk

slk, interested to know if tightening the set screw fixed the problem. We all appreciate updates to posts that might help us with a problem.
Ok guys I got the cable back on the winch today and I let it pull the truck the entire 150'. So my fix for the set screw has held up at least for now. When I decided to try it I removed the set screw completely out of the fork. It was in good shape. I took the air hose and blew out the threads in the fork, and I rotated the fork on the shaft to see if I saw any sign of an oblong hole. It appeared to be perfectly round. I then put Loctite on the set screw and while moving the fork a little back and forth while tightening the set screw in I felt the knurled tip of the screw set its self into the hole in the shaft. I used a T handle allen wrench. So I did get it tight. Only time will tell now. I did put new ISO460 gear oil in both halves.

Steve

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks