• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake fluid mystery???

cbvet

I've done a lot of brake work over the last 49 years (since I was 13) , so I generally know what to do when there is a problem. But this time I'm not too sure.
My buddy drives our '52 M35 all the time, so I never really look it over. He swears that before our last parade he topped-off the master cylinder. (He is a former Marine that likes his Old Style, though) Since then he's traveled about 90 miles.
Master cylinder was dry today, with NO sign of a leak at wheel cylinders, hoses or steel lines.
Filled it up & bled system. No pedal. Replaced master cylinder & bled. Great brakes.
But where did the fluid go? Can fluid leak into the air pack? I've never had one apart.
I know that on the old Hydrovac vacuum assist boosters, it was not uncommon to have brake fluid leak through the diaphragm & get sucked into the intake manifold, causing heavy smoke.

Any thoughts?

And who on SS has master cylinder rebuilding kits for sale?

Thanks guys!

Wolf.Dose

As gimpyrobb said, yes, it can. And this is not a typical Deuce problem. These problems also come up with European made trucks of the 50's and before like on a L5000 Daimler-Benz (a beefed up L4500 from WWII) or on a KHD Jupiter 7 t truck from the German Army. The diaphragm dries out somehow and than gets leaky. It is basically a quality problem of the material. The mixtures these diaphrams are made of is not always 100 % the same (like coulor mixings are not 100% identical even with the same recipe). Some fall leaky, others never, some recover, some don't. You simply have to live with it.
Wolf

I've had the same issue with my deuce. Leaked into the airpack. It eventually blew the fluid out of the air-pressure vent near the airfilter when releasing the brake, that's how I first noticed it...
I rebuilt the airpack, now it's fine.

Cheers,
Mark

Wolf.Dose

Roger-Wilco-66 said how to do it, besides the problem which happens to any of the air over hydraulic systems. I forgot a relatively new truck, the MB 1017 which struggles with the same problems sooner or later.
Wolf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks