• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

burnt fusable link?

nighttrain2006

ok i have a 86 m1009. went to start it yesterday and nothing. tryed it again and burnt the fuseable link on the 24v (pass) side. it the wire on the forth terminal. i think this is the wire that goes to the starter relay.

Also after this happened the gen 2 light on the dash is no longer working?

I have the glow plug control card bypassed.

TOday i reconnected the fuseable link , and put a new starter relay in. Went to start it and burnt the link again. i just put in a brand new starter two weeks ago. truck is still 24volts.

Is the starter bad? OR could a bad alt cause this problem? Looked for loose and or fryed wires could not find any. Also is gen 2 on the driver or pass side? thank you

dependable

first guess from far away, the #2 alt needs its ground isolated. 2nd, check relay under dash (silver one above ste ice port) lots of info on that in the CUCV info posts.

Last edited:

acmunro

Hard to say from here, but I just had a CUCV that I purchased from GL with what looked like a brand new starter. The starter solenoid failed and burnt the fusible link. I replaced the solenoid and the link and it works great now. Good Luck

kadetklapp

I had a '79 Scottsdale 3/4 4x4. I had the exact same problem (except mine was a gasser, so I don't know about the glow plug card) and I installed a new starter, new fusible links, and never was able to get that truck to turn over again. I ended up selling it because I was sick of dealing with it. I feel that had I spent more time with it and had access to a lift, I would have found a junked out ground somewhere. The truck was very rusty.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks