• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can a Deuce be used as a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV)?

ichudov

I am thinking about using a M35A3 or A2 as a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV), to haul cargo and pull trailers in order to further my own commercial enterprise. (not to haul others cargo, something that I do not believe makes a lot of difference in the eyes of the law).

I am aware that I need a CDL for this and this is not a problem.

The question that I have is, are Deuces legal to use as CMVs? Are there any issues with Illinois and Federal law that prevent me from using it commercially?

Do Deuces lack any legally required heavy truck safety features?

Thanks

i

Last edited:

stampy

They hauled cargo for the military...so I would say sure! I would talk to the DMV in your state to see what regulations and insurance requirements are though. I also believe there is a reason that you DON'T see a lot of deuces hauling cargo (the single master cylinder braking system perhaps)Something you should think about.

m816

No back up alarms, the brakes; and the designation of a medium duty vehicle should give you pause. The fuel economy is another factor as well as the lack of creature comforts for the driver andl if it can even pass a modern DOT inspection . The lack of drop sides makes loading and unloading on dificult except from the rear. You can't drop the tailgate flat enough to get close to a dock without the level dock system. You would have to put the bows on and off a lot more than you would care to do. The lack of power steering for manuverability. and it really doesn't accomidate a lot of freight
I'm sure there are others here with as much or more trucking experience than I who would agree. but since it is saturday and it is raining here, We haven't had a good flame on a topic for a while, so let er rip

Nonotagain

There isn't a problem with using any older vehicle as a commercial vehicle with government regulations, the problem comes with getting insurance on a 50 year old vehicle with the liability numbers you need.

As mentioned, creature comforts would be nice. Power steering, AC, power brakes, windows and doors and a windshield that don't leaks would be nice.

Unless you need the 6X6 feature, you'd be better served with an International, Ford, or GM medium truck.

Being able to get replacement parts thru a dealer network beats having to purchase surplus any day of the week.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Last edited:

Rustsleeps

By law, a"commercial motor vehicle" has a gross vehicle weight of 26,000 lbs. or more. That is why you can drive one without a CDL. (Commercial Drivers License). If you are over 10,000 lbs AND you are using the vehicle for COMMERCE you should have a federal DOT number on the vehicle. I know quite a few people that haul wood and other large loads -for themselves, or friends-with out violation of WI law. If you are not being paid to haul, and you are not over 26,000 lbs. you should be ok. The CDL was a "uniform" federal plan to make all states the same. I used to have a "chauffeurs" license in WI. We used to have a regular DL and a chaufferurs license. That meant you could be PAID to drive. Anything. Us old people were grandfathered for the Federal Medical when the switch happened, but restricted to no interstate commerce. Ooohh I'm rambling sorry...Check with your insurance and state DOT.:oops:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you are a "Commercial Driver" you will need a CDL and a valid Medical Card.

I love my deuce and use it frequently to pick up stuff for folks.......I would not use it daily to haul cargo....especially in the summer. They are mobile ovens.

ichudov

Guys, CDL is NOT the issue! I am getting a CDL in a couple of weeks, in any case. I do not want to get into any CDL discussion.

The question is, can I get a DOT number for a Deuce to use it commercially to haul cargo (auction surplus items).

i

Nonotagain

Why don't you fly below he radar and use a pickup truck and trailer?

You won't have issues getting a DOT or IFTA number, all they want is your money.

Have you looked into what weight tags are going to run you for the truck? If you were here in Maryland you'd be paying $305 per year just for straight tags. Then you have to pay the state for the miles that you drove. It ain't cheap

For Poppabear, I just looked at the tag fee for a tow truck or rollback truck in MD. Are you sitting down? Under 26k it's $198 per thousand lbs gross weight. Over 26k it goes to $563.50 per thousand lbs. And they also clip you $13.50 medavac fee on top of this.

saddamsnightmare

September 10th, 2011.

Ichudov:

You're in Illinois and you want to do what with a deuce??? Let's be realistic here, even non-commercially operated dueces need a weight rated plate at $500.00 per year and two inspections. You're gonna need to add weight payment increases tio your drivers license even if you are non commercial, as a standard IL driver's license only goes to 13,000# GVW, and the deuce is over that empty. Further, the deuce was designed as an off road tactical truck, a 200 mile trip will take you 6 or 7 hours with a deuce versus 3 with any civillian truck. AND, I doubt she will pass a DOT inspection, and the maintenance will eat you out of house and home. If she breaks down you are basically screwed, as few mechanics want to bother with a deuce in any form, and when it comes time to break the wheels down to change tires, you're screwed even bigger as few tire guys will work on a safety ring wheel, which is what the deuce has. Ask yourself why Uncle Sam has pretty much decommissioned the trucks, and it is because even the M35A3's have outlived their usefulness. N>B: Under Federal Law, any vehicle is "Commeercial" that is used to haul freight for money or execute services for money, even if your friends buy you a tank of fuel for firewood hauling, you are done in the Fed's eyes and most states DMV/DOH, and your insurance will drop you like a hot potato, and don't get in a wreck hauling for money with standard MV insurance, you'll be paying on the accident for the rest of your life......
Give it your best shot, but you'd be better off with a modern medium duty truck from the maintenance, mileage and insurance aspects, and I know and love the deuce, but their days are done as a regular runner. 4500 miles a year, maybe, 4500 miles a month, never gonna happen.fat lady sings Auction Surplus? you're gonna hate the deuce deck height in the bed, it was designed to load and unload off of railroad boxcar high docks, anything less and you're in a world of hurt, just from experience....

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
QUOTE]Guys, CDL is NOT the issue! I am getting a CDL in a couple of weeks, in any case. I do not want to get into any CDL discussion. [/QUOTE]

I'm not trying to start a pissing contest with you concerning CDL's....I am giving you the benefit of my many years of driving a Commercial Vehicle (most of that hauling HAZMAT) for a living.

When you get your CDL you will have to have a Medical Card. No ifs, ands or buts.

This entails going to your doctor and having a complete DOT Physical to include an eye test.

The doctor will fill out a long form physical (if you pass) and also give you a card to carry with you.

You have to have it in your possession anytime you are driving a Commercial Vehicle......."I left it in my other pair of britches" is not a valid excuse.

If you are taking certain medications you will have to have the Doc fill out paperwork every year to certify that you are still capable of driving. Ask me how I know.

If you are hauling "for hire" (even for yourself) and get caught without a valid medical card you are going to get a ticket you will never forget.

I still have my CDL and it is almost too much of a pain to keep it but if people quit throwing cans on the side of the road I may have to go back to driving a truck.

If you don't want to hear the cold hard facts of life....don't ask the question.

We are here to help if you are here to listen.

Heavysteven

I have a commercial tag because of weight (Cobb County made me).

I like to haul small loads around like mulcth and trash to the dump.

Good luck with your decision lots of good info on the site.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deuce is too slow and burns too much fuel to make a buck............

houdel

The question that I have is, are Deuces legal to use as CMVs? Are there any issues with Illinois and Federal law that prevent me from using it commercially?
And the answer is, no one has answered your question. As I read it, all you really wanted to know was if a Deuce can legally be used commercially. What you got was a bunch of BS about why you shouldn't, medical certificates, etc. All valid, but nothing answering the question. Since you have or will have a CDL and presumably can get a DOT number, the big question is will a Deuce pass a DOT inspection. For that you will probably have to ask the DOT.

But - I'm going with Rustsleeps on this one. You are NOT hauling for hire, and your GVW is under 26,000 lbs. You ARE hauling your own property without any reimbursement, I don't think you are subject to DOT regulation. I see a lot of good sized delivery trucks running around without DOT numbers.

I'd ask the DOT first if you are operating commercially. You may save yourself a bunch of work and trouble. If they tell you that what you are doing IS subject to regulation, then ask them about the vehicle inspection requirements.

spicergear

I'm sorry I'm not able to answer for IL, but I'll throw in what I know about PA. YES you could. If you are going to make money with it in state or out of state you could have interstate and intrastate commerce which have a 10,001lb and 17,001lb GVWR lower limits, plus PA has had something brewing about 3 axles and you're commercial, no matter. Yes, 26,001 is the federal commercial starting point but the individual states can do what they want. Oh, and the 17,001 dealie requires med card. Oh, and any trailer over 10,001lb requires a commercial license.

YES you should be able to run it as commercial and your state will be happy to collect lots of costs from you. Just aske them and they'll figure out a way.

rorybellows

so cdl not a problem.

if you plan on doing hazmat, youll need a twic card most likely. and theres something now that the tsa makes you do. its no real big deal; like a background check. cost 100 bones and some time to get back to you.

as for the truck, if you have a cdl already, that most likely means your air brake "certified". you should just go with a five tonner. much more adept to heavy work, no offense to the deuce. another thing is going to be tires. you should find a commercial rated tire that will hold up better than a tire designed for mostly rough terrain driving. in the sand box, which consisted of mostly on road driving (90%), these tires get ate up pretty quick

hope this helps