• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CARC Dangers?

davesgmc

I was browsing thought ht treads on what precautions I might need when working with CARC paint. I am building the big 5 ton and will need to do quite a bi of body work. the bed has carc tan paint on it currently which will be stripped off, sanded, ground, etc. There MAY be some on he cab, not sure.

MY question is, is the stuff dangerous when sanding it? chipping it off? power washing it off?
Or is it just very dangerous when its wet and your spray it on?

powerhouseduece

Umm... you might want to get a resperator and where it when ever sanding or painting anyway. i thought its was just the carc dust from sanding that was really bad for you.

...cough....cough......

LanceRobson

Follow the same precautions as for any polyurethane paint, including not having any exposed skin while sanding or shooting. A disposable Tyvek suit is cheap insurance.

Ignore the "I did it this way and I'm still alive" kind of posts. There are real hazards but they can be easily reduced to make it a safe venture.

Crawl the internet for the safety issues and their remedies. A little knowledge and common sense will go a long way.

Good luck and stay healthy. You did the right thing by asking before acting.

Lance

deuceman51

The guys are right, as long as you use a good respirator and good ventilation you should be ok. Also wear gloves and long sleeve shirt. My my maint. shop, we went down the carc before sanding it as an extra measure of dust control. If you need any CARC I still have about 6 gallons of it on hand for sale.

Nonotagain

Follow the same precautions as for any polyurethane paint, including not having any exposed skin while sanding or shooting. A disposable Tyvek suit is cheap insurance.

Ignore the "I did it this way and I'm still alive" kind of posts. There are real hazards but they can be easily reduced to make it a safe venture.

Crawl the internet for the safety issues and their remedies. A little knowledge and common sense will go a long way.

Good luck and stay healthy. You did the right thing by asking before acting.

Lance
Very good advice Lance.

Cured CARC paint dust should be treated as a hazardous waste since it contains heavy metals, especially chrome.

CARC that you are in the process of mixing and spraying contains isocynates which are sensitizers causing respiratory issues and can also cause skin rashes.

If you are going to spray in an enclosed area a supplied air respirator should be used.

Wash your hands before eating, drinking or smoking. Wash contaminated clothing separate from your normal house laundry. Following good hygiene practices is a must.

Jones

The late one-part CARC uses moisture to cure. That's moisture in the air... or in your throat and lungs. Best to spray in a tent or on a calm day as fumes and overspray should be avoided by all-- wife, kids, pets, neighbor's wife, kids, pets....
Make sure any respirator filtration is rated for VOC.

Once applied and cured, the hazard becomes the dust and flakes which contain all kinds of nasty stuff; ground quartz, ground green spinel, cobalt chromite, chromium oxide, silica, talc.
The Sherwin-Williams data sheets are in the Tech Library and you can get the MSDS on a google search.
Just do your homework and you should be OK.

davesgmc

Very good advice Lance.

Cured CARC paint dust should be treated as a hazardous waste since it contains heavy metals, especially chrome.

CARC that you are in the process of mixing and spraying contains isocynates which are sensitizers causing respiratory issues and can also cause skin rashes.

If you are going to spray in an enclosed area a supplied air respirator should be used.

Wash your hands before eating, drinking or smoking. Wash contaminated clothing separate from your normal house laundry. Following good hygiene practices is a must.

So you wouldnt suggest smoking while painting? What a bummer!

Nonotagain

So you wouldnt suggest smoking while painting? What a bummer!
I've performed process audit inspections at a few plating and finishing houses that their painters were in the spray booth with cigarette in mouth and a beer sitting in the corner. This was a few years back, but still goes on since a lot of commercial painters are somewhat chemically challenged. I'll leave it at that.

The feds changed the permissible exposure to hexavelant chromium two years ago to almost nothing, none, nada exposure.

I get chest x-rays every two years and blood work every 6 months due to all of the nasty items I work with.

Playing with chemicals is not fun, though I understand that you are clowning around on this item.

Following good hygiene practices won't just save your life it will save your children from a possible life long disease.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks