• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CB and a AS3916

ssdvc

So, since I can't afford any of the milspec comms gear right now, I'll have to do with a decent CB (perhaps a Cobra 29 for now). And, I don't want my new oh9 looking naked, so I am going to put a AS3916 antenna and base on her.

My question is, can I use this antenna and interface that with the CB? Will it work reasonably well? And last, but not least, how do I hook it up when I get it.

Thanks.

digitaldust

i dont think so , you need 27Mhz range " 11 Meter band " the best that antenna and base can do it 10 Meters or 28Mhz
try a 109inch whip prime it and paint it match your truck use the standard 3/8" X 24 spring mount kit it will still look ok
someone did a MX base and CB post on here somewhere

ssdvc

Ok, so what base (or are they all the same) and what antenna will I need to do this on my Oh9. I have the mid-cab mounting position. I want it to look authentic, if possible. I will also be buying the mount, base and anything else I need for this as I don't have anything for it at the moment.

Thanks.

mistaken1

Soo if i read the links right ya CUT down the Mil Whip ? to turn the 11 meter band ?
Depends. :)

The idea is to make the antenna resonant at the chosen transmit frequency. You can either change the physical characteristics of the antenna to make it resonant of you can change the electrical characteristics to make it resonant (at least as the transmitter sees it).

The point is that the MX6707 has an antenna tuning network in the base. In theory you could use a separate, commercially available antenna tuner to match you chosen mil antenna to the frequency range you will transmit on.

The MX6707 base is adjustable for frequency. There is a knob (turn it one way only) to let you select the mill frequency you will be using. The mil radios have a multi-conductor cable that powers a small motor inside to do this automatically but if you do not have mil radio you need to use the knob.

Set the MX6707 for the lowest frequency then open it up and adjust the proper variable capacitor to tune it for the chosen transmit frequency.

There are other bases that use a spring steel wire antenna that could be cut to tune the antenna but I do not know if that will make one of them work on the CB band.

I used the MX6707 and tuned it for use with a CB by adjusting the capacitor as per the instructions from the flash off road site. Then I acquired a ham license and used the same basic procedure to tune the MX6707 to work with a 6-meter radio.

mistaken1

Valcom Manufacturing Group Inc - Guelph - AS-3900A/VRC Broadband Vehicular Whip Antenna

• Frequency Range: 30 MHz to 88 MHz
  • VSWR: 3.5:1
  • Power Handling: 150 W Average
  • Minimum maintenance
  • High reliability
  • Broadband
  • Weatherproof
  • NSN: 5985-01-308-8988
It is great for any radios that work with the antenna specs.

It will work great for a receiving antenna. They look cool on a military truck.

Get an antenna tuner and use the AS3900.

ANTENNAS TUNERS FOR CB & HAM RADIO

RF Limited AT-KW1 No Ground CB Antenna Tuner

AGE|kshaufl

I would just get a tuner that you hook up in the cab (SWR-Meter / Tuner). They used to sell these things all over the place. Hook up your radio, then the SWR goes into the back of the radio's antenna jack, then the antenna lead goes to the coax, then to the splitter, then the antennae. There should be no need to cut them down.

You will need to have an SWR receiver to tune it but once tuned you will be able to blow the doors off someone receiving your signal.

Just a thought.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks