• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Changing Turbo

hammerdown

Hi all,can someone tell me what's involved with changing a turbo
on my m35?????
What's hints and tips are there as it looks straight forward enough to do
,but there must be some pointers to watch out for??I.E the bolts holding the Turbo
to the manifold???

AceHigh

The back studs on the manifold are a pain, but everything is simple. Pay attention to gaskets and oil flow to prevent leaks.

I kind of rigged up a way to lift the turbo into position and hold it till I got the nuts started. Just one person working alone makes it hard to hold up and fasten, I think it is about 30 pounds.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bolts in the front sould come off easily. But the studs closer to the engine block will probally break off. Start out with some penetrating oil. And soak all four nuts for a few days. Then shock them with a brass or copper hammer. Not hard enough to break something. Just enough to shock them. Then work the nuts back and forth. If you just try removing them with out a back and forth motion they will break. Contune soaking the threads as you work. To lube and remove rust as the nut comes off. Once the nuts are off or broke. The turbo still won't come off. You will have to get a scraper. And wedge it in between the turbo and the manafold. And work it off the studs. Good luck!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All good advice but let me add one thing I do. Add some oil to the top of the turbo (where the steel line attaches) especially if it's been sitting a while. Last one I installed (few weeks back) I put some bar oil for my chain saw in there. Helps lube a dry turbo with the delayed oil pressure of the deuce engine. As far as breaking studs, haven't had that happen yet but after a good number of years in the muffler business (exhausting work) I can sure feel when it's twisting off. Not a difficult job at all. Couple of hours at best. Since no one has mentioned it, when the turbo is off, drill and tap your exhaust manifold for a pyro, you can always put a plug in it and add the probe later.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks