• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Combat Rims for M35s

L1A1

Hello
I really like the look of the 5 ton combat rims on the 800 & 900 series 5 tons. Do they make that type or rim (bolt together) for the M35 deuce?
Matt

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The early deuces, back in the early 1950s, came with combat rims that were similar to the WWII style bolt together combat rims. They are hard to find now, and worth their weight in gold (well, almost). The A3 rims are just as expensive, meant for the the newest variants of the deuces, and are designed for the CTIS system (which is a PITA and breaks often).

Anyone got pics of the two types for L1A1?

L1A1

MD308,54reo
Thanks for your replies.

I am aware of the WW II style combat rims that were used on the 2.5 ton trucks. I think those rims were used mostly on the DUKWs rather than the standard cargo CCKW. I have seen a photo of an open cab CCKW in the desert w/ super singles mounted on combat rims. As for the M35A3 rims, I've never seen a picture of them w/o the CTIS mounted. I guess you could use those rims w/o that system? Too bad they're so darn expensive.It was those bolt together "combat" rims that made the 5 tons so drop dead sexy to me (well, I guess "bad a$$" would be a better term to use here:wink: ).
Matt

PS: MadDawg308, did you receive my last PM to you?

Jakob

As much as this topic has come up since I've been here, it seems like if someone made affordable re-pops of the "combat rims", that they'd sell like hot cakes. Not only to Deuce owners, but to 4x4 guys running the same axles in their trucks.

FreightTrain

Banned
Also,I think half track rims work on a deuce.I have a set of Combats that have enough backspace to run dual.They are dated 1945.There was a lot of other vehicles that had the same bolt pattern as the deuce.

devilman96

As much as this topic has come up since I've been here, it seems like if someone made affordable re-pops of the "combat rims", that they'd sell like hot cakes. Not only to Deuce owners, but to 4x4 guys running the same axles in their trucks.
Jkob,

Not to bash what you are saying but I see this said fairly often… The problem is the term "affordable"... Knowing what it takes to manufacture wheels... Most guys cannot afford the hardware it takes to assemble the wheels let alone the whole wheel assy... Cost on one OEM A3 wheels type is about $1100 each! NOS A3 assy's can be had for about $750 each used are $300-$400 if you can find a full set...

Several companies out there build bead-locking wheels for $400-$600 each...
Tack on freight $300-$400... 6 wheel are about $2700... add tires... $3700... add a spare... $4300

All things considered and knowing what those guys go through to build a locking wheel... 60% of NOS and 30% of OEM price is pretty darn reasonable!!!

I sell my wheel assy's for $250 each... 6 wheels $1500 plus shipping $1900... The most common response after quoting someone for a set... "that’s more than I paid for my whole truck"… :roll:

Jakob

I understand where you're coming from. I had no idea what kind of monetary figures came with some of those wheels. Your wheels are probably the best bet out there for the price. You'll probably know the answer to this as well. How much are adapters to convert Deuce axles to 10 bolt?

devilman96

I've never seen anyone make / sell them but from what I know of wheel and axle measurments by the time you bolt spacers on to a 2.5 ton axle to run 5 ton combat wheels you would be so far over DOT width limits you wouldnt fit into a highway lane let alone a city street. (which is prolly why you dont see them)

This is why the off road market is moving to 5 ton axles... Surplus combat wheels are far less $.

devilman96

FT,

Let me see if I understand your desire for bling bling...

You want me to quote you a set of chrome 11X20 wheels, chome A3 look'a-like center inserts with gold hardware? rofl

L1A1

Devilman96
Thanks for your post w/pics & info! I've seen the A3 combat rims on the trucks but never paid a lot of attention to them that closely.

1stDeuce
that is an interesting rim. 12 hole pattern? I looked in some of my books here thinking that rim was maybe off of a 10Ton.But, 10 tonners use a 10 bolt pattern.

I guess the moral of this story is: If you want combat rims for your M35, either be prepared to drop serious money or keep your eyes open (and still be prepared to drop serious dough)
Regards,
Matt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks