• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

compound c and d turbo set up?

Burgerboy13

Well I could be wrong, but I think both C and D turbos are about the same size. With compounds you want a smaller turbo feeding into a larger one eliminating turbo lag. Either way if you did manage to fab something up, you still would likely run into head gasket issues.

jrobinson5093

yea you would need something to regulate the boost but if im not wrong the C turbo makes more boost at lower rpms and the D usually doesnt fully spool until all most wot, but either way it might not accomplish any thing but i think it would sure look cool. i think you would have all the boost you would need at any rpm, but it might not work out that way.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not at all what you'd want. They're still way too close in size to not impact performance. I'd also fear putting anything over 15psi of boost into these engines due to their very high compression ratio. Besides the differences needed in compressor and turbine wheel diameters (and flow characteristics). You'd also need to take into consideration the exhaust housing specs. A non-gated secondary (the stock C turbo) would require a external wastegate to spool a larger turbo properly.

To pull off a twin'ed multifuel. You'd need to plan a few things. If money weren't an object, I'd build one with a balanced bottom end, main girdle, peened rods, shaved piston bowls (to reduce CR), a LDS injection pump, ARP studs on the rods, mains and head bolts, O-ringed heads, a full P&P on the heads, re-route the coolant away from the intake manifold, one off exhaust header, a HX35 turbo with a HT3B primary.

That would probably make for a substantial powerplant that still retains the multifuel capacity. I doubt the transmission or clutch would hold up long behind it. But the cost wouldn't be worth it. You could easily swap in a 5.9 cummins and lay down the same power numbers for a fraction of the cost.

IMHO, get a boost and pyro gauge and turn the pump up a tad and be happy with what you've got.;)

mightymanx

One proper sized Turbo would be much better.

Trying to compound 2 turbos that are way to large to begin with will most likley hurt performance.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please add your State to your location information. This is a site requirement.