• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Copper Compression Fitting Air Leak

joshs1ofakindxj

I had an air leak come up on the copper line compression fitting that is at the compressor. It is the large line (1/2"?).

The leak is coming out of the gap between the compression nut and the line itself.

Maybe the ferrule is undersized from age? Can I replace just that?

I tried disassemble and clean but that only made the leak slightly worse and louder. The truck can still be driven with good air pressure, but the compressor is running a lot so I want to get it fixed asap.

Can I get an all new compression fitting for the end?

The line is in a bend up to that point from the frame below so I don't have much to work with if I'm going to shorten it and add an all new compression fitting but It might work.

I've fixed a lot of things in my 23 years but this worn out compression fitting is new to me and I could use some guidance.

Thanks!

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have the available copper, just put a new fitting on the end. Yes, you can buy the fittings also. If you can't get the fitting on because of the bend in the pipe, go down to a strait section and cut the pipe and put a coupler in it and a new section of pipe and then make the new end as needed.

willy

If you can find some cotten tread you can put some around the ferrule between it and the nut it will seal your leak.
A tread from a drity cloth would be fine or clean
Willy

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your line may be cracked. Cooper lines will sometimes crack from vibration right at the ferrule.