• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV brush gaurd

Road Bandit

I bought a CUCV brush guard with the intentions of putting it on my 82 C20 pickup do any of you know if I need longer bumper bolts for the brush guard?

cucvrus

No. I use the standard bolts. Do yourself a favor and buy some new 1/2" serrated flange nuts and 1/2" SS carriage bolts. Why mess with 35 year old bolts. Put it on by hand and crank them tight with a 3/8" ratchet. NOT a breaker bar and knuckle buster. Have a great day. I have experience in this department. Trust me.

nyoffroad

When removing the old bolts I don't even try to unscrew them, just cut or tighten till they break. It's a PIA when you get them a bit loose and the they slip and start spinning then ya gotta figure a way to push them into the hole and hold them there.

cucvrus

Holding them is easy after you heat the nuts up cherry red a 1/2 dozen times. I am very proficient with a cutting torch. I burn the head off from the front side and call it a day. I then burn the square shank off the bolts and the bumper falls off. Zero damage to hands or parts. The bolts are replaceable and the bumper and brush guard are getting repainted anyway.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had to deal with this over the weekend. Found out that using an angle grinder to make 4 cuts per head, making it square and then smashing them out with a hammer worked well.

This does leave some marks on the bumper, but nothing too bad if you're careful.

Road Bandit

Holding them is easy after you heat the nuts up cherry red a 1/2 dozen times. I am very proficient with a cutting torch. I burn the head off from the front side and call it a day. I then burn the square shank off the bolts and the bumper falls off. Zero damage to hands or parts. The bolts are replaceable and the bumper and brush guard are getting repainted anyway.
I don't plan on repainting my bumper because it is crome

cucvrus

Chrome I assume. Then heat the nuts good on the back side and have at it. Wear PPE and take your time. Do from the center out push in on the bolts with the butt end of a hammer handle and all will be well. I would still replace the nuts to ease reassembling. Use 1/2 x 13 serrated flange nuts. Hardware store items. Good Luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks