• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cucv on goverment liquidation

Cucvnut

So I was looking at there web site looking for a cucv they have them on auction but they don't tell you if they run. what gives how reliable are they from that site ? do most not run ? or do they and just don't say? some are only an hour from me or 6 hours away. whats my best bet ?

wsucougarx

Best bet would be to preview whatever you are bidding on. Bidding on GL is a risk. You can be lucky and get a good runner and then again you can get a parts truck. If you have questions about the truck ask the GL rep or find out who checked the trucks in. I've had pretty good luck by simply asking if they ran or not. So far so good. But seriously, you never know what you're going to get. Even if the truck starts and runs okay doesnt mean she'll drive. The unknown factor is half the adventure:wink:

'Reasonably priced' M1008's do exist, even on eBay from time to time. There is no 'reasonable' price for a 1028 though. And I dare not even mention the dually models....

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've bought 3 1009s from GL since February and each had it's good and bad issues.

#1 - Ran good, looked fairly good, had a LOT of rust issues inside below the rear seat - not a spot GL photos - SOLD

#2 - The Keeper. Looked great in the photos and they said it ran. Turns out the right motor mount had dropped and crushed the fuel line which took a while to diagnose so they basically lied when they said it ran (this was probably just checked off by DRMO and they never tried to start it). It also had a damaged steering tube that made it undrivable (no mention by GL) and finally GL gave it several love taps with a forklift AFTER they photo'd it (fender, quarterpanel and transfer case). Due to the damage to the transfer case it had to be replaced. Now my $1500 1009 has about another $1000 worth of parts and labor.

#3 - Pinky - this one I bought with every intention of selling (which I did) since it was painted red which has since faded to a pinkish hue. Turns out it had the least rust and, so far, appears to be the best runner out of the bunch - SOLD

The moral of the story is that you shouldn't judge a M1009 by it's paint job. If you're within an hour drive (my closest one was at least 8 hours) go look at it. If you can't get out to see it yourself post a thread here asking if anyone is close and can look at it for you. When you buy off of GL sight unseen you're just rolling the dice.

jwaller

most of these trucks have bent driveshafts from being moved with forklifts. be careful even if it says it runs it doesn't mean you can drive it.

Cucvnut

I have been talking to the dude on 100dolarman.com for a few weeks and he says he will sell me a running cucv m1008 for three grand I have pictures of the truck its a desert camp paint job which I have not seen before is three grand a good price for a running cucv? I can post pods if needed. Then there is a cucv on gl for around 1500 that they says runs but has rust an hour from me.

grounded

Banned
my advice is you got 2 choices. Either pay the money and buy it from 100dollarman. OR go to GL. if you are trying to get it as cheep as possible bid on GL and take your chances and also go INSPECT IT!! if not then its your own dealings.

If you want something you know you got your moneys worth. SPEND a little extra and buy it off a individual that you can go and put your hands on it first.

I have done that with ALL my stuff i got.

jrou111

Personally, I think buying an CUCV through GL is much more of a risk than buying a deuce. Which is kinda sad because they are easier to own, less cost, maintenance, etc.

My M1009 I bought through GL although was inexpensive, wasn't as easy to bring home as my deuces were. I lucked out because most of the ones I saw at pickup weren't driveable out of the lot.

IMHO, I'd go the GL route, but I'm more of a risk taker.

Cucvnut

im bidding on it and it has two hours left and hopefully i win. its only an hour and half or so from me so if ineeded we can tow it back on the trailer

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks