• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv starter issues i.e. starter drag

Chief_919

There are several thinknesses of shims out there, and each truck is different. Best advice is to try without one first, and if it grinds or binds then add shims until it works properly.

None of my trucks need a shim.

Barrman

Look at the Bendix end of the solenoid housing on the starter. It probably says NO SHIM. The redux starters didn't use shims either.

If yours is the shim type and needs them, look in the -20 for how to measure. Then, your local auto parts store will have what you need.

M1008driver

I can't help you much, but here is a picture from TM 9-2320-289-20, 4-5. STARTER AND STARTER RELAY REPLACEMENT and some other useful links.

Starter Shim Instructions

6.2 Starter Bolt InfoChanged Starter - Now Starter Bracket Issue

EDIT- You didn't say the year of your truck. I think I read 1985 and on you don't need shims and before that if you had a shim use a shim, if not don't. Of course you said your truck did not have a starter so this may be useless information. :)

Attachments

Last edited:

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had one truck that came with a shim, put a new starter in with the shim and it barely ingauged, chewing up the flywheel. From then on, all the starters I put in on other trucks were placed with no shims, even if the old starter had one. Just have to check each one you put in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks