• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV vent window glass installation

Barrman

The drivers vent window on my M1009 was broken when I got the truck. I finally had a chance to go junkyarding yesterday. I found a good glass assembly with good gaskets. When I opened the vent to start removing everything, the glass came off in my hand. Great I thought. I don't have to pull everything apart. Got a big cut in price too.

I looked up in the -20 about how to install the glass. Seal in first, soapy water and push it in. I couldn't get it to go. Vasoline and a Quick Grip lightly used got the glass in enough to close and lock. But, it is still not all the way in. Any ideas?

While I am asking about the vent window. Once you pull the pin on the handle/lock, how in the world do you get that handle off? My new window has chrome and it makes the entire truck just look wrong.

Thanks.

Barrman

I asked the auto body teacher down the hall about it and here is what he suggest. Get a pair of snap ring pliers. The kind that open out when you squeeze. Very gently spread the metal of the channel with them. Put the glass in with a little bit of sealant or weatherstripping. Then at any place the metal is not touching the rubber seal, very gently use pliers until it touches the rubber. Never put pressure on the glass.

I hope to try this over the weekend. I still can't figure out how to get that silly handle off. Will post results if I ever do.

davidkroberts

from the auto body work ive done the whole door needs to be broken down before it will install and yes it is awful and ive been putting it off just because i dont want to do it.

Barrman

I know you have to pull the door panel and such to replace the entire vent window frame. I was using the stock existing frame and just putting new glass in. Lots easier now that I have done it.

OL AG '89

Barrman,
Once the pin is out the handle should just twist off.....
Mine is loose with the pin in but it feels like it just twists on or off...
I have to replace the frame on the passenger side, but knowing that I have to fully dissamble the door I am putting off as long as possible......

Barrman

Thanks about the handle. I had the stock CUCV handle in a vise last night. Pin out and it still wouldn't come apart. I will try soaking in penetrating oil and make a science project out if I guess. Patience, it all comes down to that it seems.