• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce autospy Transmission

digitaldust

I took the day to pull my trans apart on the bench. and found a crack in the 2nd , 3rd gear that sits inside the syncro

anyone have a junk trans i can get the front shaft from as a centering tool?
also looking for a top gear shaft..

has anyone had a syncro out and apart ? My 2,3 shifts in my hand little harder then the 4, 5

also is the deuce trans a cross to a civie unit like a GMC or FORD truck ? ups van ect. maybe i could find junk yard parts

If your trans is getting tight going into 2 ,3 this might be the problem. I thought the trouble was in the top cover, sorry my digital camera is a point / hope , so the pic where the crack is up cloes its fuzzy but i think you can still make it out

any ideas what to do or get parts are welcomed

saving money fora trip to PA there is a trans out there as a last option

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: NDT

wsucougarx

I'd just buy another tranny. They can be had for a pretty good price. I just picked up a spare for $50. Others I have seen are $125. They're out there

No.2Diesel

Hi,

Thanks for taking the pics. Its good to see a newguy getting into the thick of things! To answer your questions about transmission compatability, Its a Spicer 3053A. No other auto/truck manufacturer used this tranny so you won't find it that often in the junkyard unless its MV oriented. I've ordered stuff from Boyce Equipment or my local truck parts store.

My transmission does the same thing but I've managed to live with the sloppiness for a few years now, which is not the right thing to do. I have an entire tranny rebuild kit sitting on the shelf but don't have the time yet. I'm sure when it takes a dump I'll have the time.

Good luck with the rest of your tranny service!

Snarky

Hi,

Thanks for taking the pics. Its good to see a newguy getting into the thick of things! To answer your questions about transmission compatability, Its a Spicer 3053A. No other auto/truck manufacturer used this tranny so you won't find it that often in the junkyard unless its MV oriented. I've ordered stuff from Boyce Equipment or my local truck parts store.

My transmission does the same thing but I've managed to live with the sloppiness for a few years now, which is not the right thing to do. I have an entire tranny rebuild kit sitting on the shelf but don't have the time yet. I'm sure when it takes a dump I'll have the time.

Good luck with the rest of your tranny service!
Yeah, mine has a Spicer 3053A too, and not only are they a bit rarer, but also jeeps guys seek them out because you can appearently put them behind a chevy engine and they become bullet proof when you aren't using them to push a 13,000 pound 6x6 truck. I think I've seen the 3053A on sale for about 1200, or you know, half the price of a good wo/w deuce. It makes more sense to rebuild them than replace them, but I'm just living with my issues for the time being.

jblack6527

Yeah, mine has a Spicer 3053A too, and not only are they a bit rarer, but also jeeps guys seek them out because you can appearently put them behind a chevy engine and they become bullet proof when you aren't using them to push a 13,000 pound 6x6 truck. I think I've seen the 3053A on sale for about 1200, or you know, half the price of a good wo/w deuce. It makes more sense to rebuild them than replace them, but I'm just living with my issues for the time being.
I thought all deuces had the 3053A? If someone wants to give me 1200 for mine, I'll pull it tomorrow. :)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just for future reference, That top shaft with the synchronizers, can be removed and replaced, with the transmission in the truck.

digitaldust

Well i asked a few vets of the deuce and was told take out the everything ! look at the clutch parts etc , my throw out , rattles like a rattle snake , is that normal

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is always good to do a complete removal, tear-down and inspection of the transmission and associated components, when you have problems that you really want to solve.

No, your throwout bearing should be smooth and quiet.

digitaldust

well i went up north mich today and picked up a few trans and a transfer case guts case body lots of stuff, throwout bearing a good one so. its my lucky week. looks like i'm shelling out for a clutch and more new bolts

trip info lots of rain from Flint to berryton Mi 19 - 22 Mpg meet a great SS member , stopped at cops and donuts in clair Mi popped in to mom and dads place trip was 12 hrs almost 332ish miles

oh ya GF and I stopped at a place on M66 got a few pumpkins very large for 5 bucks

Attachments