• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce brake problem

cbvet

On our 1952 M35-
Over the last 100 or so miles, all short trips, the brake pedal has been getting a little higher. It now has about 1/4" travel before brakes lock up.
Any suggestions?
It looks like I may have a leaking rear wheel cylinder, which I can rebuild, but I can't imagine what that would have to do with this problem.
I'll check back in a little later for your advice.
Thanks,
Eric
CBVET

Westech

CPL
if you have any fluid IE grease, brake fluid, axle lube.. the brakes will lock right up with drum brakes. Trust me I know all about the deuce brakes and there short comings. make sure to clean everything very well and fix the leaks

Westech

CPL
its grabing.. as soon as there any pressure on the shoe to drum it "sticks". before when it was all clean the shoe would be contacting the drum but it would take more pressuer to start to stop.. more pressure = more pedal travel. the shoes are still contacting at the same pedal travel but before it was taking more pressure to start stopping. grease or any fluid will rase the fibers or can even swell the shoe (making it larger) so with the raised fibers it will "dig" in to the drum.

Boatcarpenter

Don't know if you have ever changed your flexible brake lines, but if they have not been done for many years, you may have a deterioration of the innermost layer that is not allowing the fluid to return towards the MC after you apply the brakes.

jwaller

I just changed all my flex lines and added speed bleeders. it was about a 3hr job start to finish. not bad really for some added piece of mine with a single circuit system.

cbvet

Westech had it right!
Pulled the wheels/drum. Everything wet with 90w, brake return spring disintegrated, wheel cylinder boots gone, pistons frozen. Shoes so swollen & saturated you could scrape lining off with a screwdriver.
I've worked on vehicles for 45 years, but have never seen shoes crumble like that.
Thanks again, I'll be ordering parts Monday.
Eric
CBVET

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks