• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce door

Rocco

I have never tryed it before,but how do you
get the door off. Is it like a pin?
I have hit the bottom of the pin a couple of times but it does not move
i just dont want to break it.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: duce door

It's a pin, put all mine are stuck in the hinges.

dmetalmiki

some "heat" IF it doesnt move after 4/6 INTENSE! couts with a 3 or 4 Lb hammer.!..soak with penetrating oil ,use a good fit puch to drive it all the way out. helps to "knock it" BOTH ways a bit at a time if its badly sticking. keeping the CLOUT as "SQUARE" to the pin as poss helps.and as some members have said b 4 about these jobs..this IS one that requires "that certain feel!"

jatonka

If you have to really hit to drive it out, DON"T. Get the correct size Phillips screwdriver and remove the hinge from the cab. If you don't, you will mushroom the pin in the hinge just like a rivet and you will smash the door half of the hinge into the door skin. I really know this as I have wrecked a bunch of stuff in 55 yrs. After you get the door off, saw the pin flush with bottom of door hinge and get the right size punch and blast it out with heat on the hinge. A zip gun workd the best. You'll get er. John Tennis

littlebob

I used a hand impact to remove the hinges on mine. I haven't got the pins out yet ,but the plan is to be able to apply heat or drill in the vise instead of tearing up the cab or door.
littlebob

Rocco

My mirror mounts are bolted to the hing pins.
i have seen the pins type. im shure this is the same
but it has a nut on the bottom of it it is threaded,
Is that normal?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I have west coast mirrors. The top is a bolt that goes thru the mirror bracket and the bottom is the pin. The bolt isn't threaded into the hinge, it's just rusted in place. I can turn and tighten the nut, but the bolt turns and loosens the nut when the door is opened and closed. Guess the bolt is rusted to the door part of the hinge. Tried rust getters of all types and you can tell that a hot wrench was used b-4. The door opens and closes fine and is aligned fine. I figure, if it doesn't need fixing, don't mess with it!

davemccoull

I agree with Jatonka, i needed to get my hinge pins out to fit west coast mirrors. I had to remove the hinges completely, and had to use heat before knocking them out.I replaced pins withbolts and nyloc nuts and plenty of grease.

Wild Horse Hans

I pulled 2 doors off of junkyard deuces today. The pins were not going anyplace and I just took the phillips screws out of the body and took the mirrors with the doors.

reloader64

I also put the west coast mirrors on my duece. One of my pins was stuck and broken. The top half moved with the door, and the bottom half stayed still. I took off the door, put the hinge on the ground with a socket underneath, and pounded. No go. I had to drill the pin out in my drill press. I went back in with 1/4" bolts and nylocker nuts. The bolts were a tad bit loose. I think the Army used a pin that is bigger than 1/4" and smaller than 5/16", and threaded it to 1/4X28. I decided I wasn't going to that much trouble.

Scott

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have removed several doors. Never seen one that the pins weren't stuck. I've used heat to remove them and haven't ruined a bolt yet. I just heat untill red and put a wrench on the bolt and they will start to spin a little. Just keep working with it and it will work free. They are an odd size that can't be found at the hardware store.

Be sure to anti-sieze the heck out of the pins when you re-install them to help keep this from happening again. :wink:

Wild Horse Hans

Wild Horse, you went parts hunting today. Does that mean scooter went with you and looked for my part:-D?
BC
I went alone and got a ton of stuff! Fender, both doors, troop seats, tail light brackets, spring seat, and all the parts to mount a cab soft top other than the 3 top bows. Also got a few other smaller items.

I did not know you needed anything, but I have to go back to get the hand brake cable and lever and that U shaped bracket on the companion seat so I can mount the spring seat. Let me know what you need and if it is there I will pull it for you, unless you need the engine or tranny of course. Then I will let you know what they look like:-D!
There are 2 there one with a Hercules and D turbo, the other has a White non turbo. Neither are winch trucks, but they are, or were until yesterday, pretty complete. All the running gear is still in them.
Let me know.
Hans

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks