• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce first start prep

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello folks I have a 71 Deuce thats been sitting in my warehouse for 7 years and has not been started during this time, the truck was always a great runner and started instantly no matter what. My questions is what prep would you recommend before I go to start it tomorrow? Should I bleed the secondary filters, is this necessary? I already changed the oil but didnt bother with the filter since its got about 5 miles on it before it was parked. I put new batteries in the truck today, so my question is mainly do you folks have any pre start recommendations before I fire the truck up tomorrow
All suggestions will be considered, thanks much!
Karl

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you have some thing to block the airway in case of a run-away. And if the air filter box is stock block up the hole on the motor side that was used for the fording setup (I think). I found that a champagne cork fits that perfectly.
If you're in the cab during start and have no helper/soldier B make sure the wheels are blocked, T-case in high, and gearbox in 5th. That way if it starts a run-away you can drop the clutch and hopefully stall it out. So making sure the brakes work in advance is important.
Maybe drain a bit from the primary filter just to check for water.
Other than that I've never done anything special. I do watch the oil pressure and if it doesn't come up w/in 15 or 20 seconds I'd shut it down.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just wanted to thank the folks that contributed very good information to remind me of things that I have forgotten concerning the after long hibernation of my Deuce and its first start after 8 years. thanks for your assistance the start went off without a hitch and it will be driven to its ne location next and will be getting it ready to sell!
Thanks again folks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks