• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Oscillating idle question

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As we know, my neighbor bought a deuce recently. After mine starts and comes to idle, it steadies into a solid idle. His on the other hand oscillates. Higher to lower RPM about every 2-3 seconds. Normal? Abnormal? I have never heard a deuce do this. The only difference between mine and his (without knowing the full maintenance history) is his is a 72 and mine is a 69.....

Any help is appreciated.

(And yes, I searched the wiki, I got 151 results and didn't want to go through EACH and EVERY one of the posts..... in fact, here is the search link..... Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite - Search Results )

littlebob

Ken,

Has he changed the fuel filters yet? If not I would suggest changing all three first. I would also have him check to make sure the in tank fuel pump is working. I also don't know how much time he has spent doing the basics like draining the moisture out of the tank and all three fuel filters. let us know what you find out.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will do LB..... Willing to bet he hasn't done any of it. Will get with him tomorrow or Sunday.....

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I hope not, my truck I just got running does this. If I bump up the throttle to 8 or 900 it smooths out. Once it warms up, I can push in the throttle.

JDToumanian

It goes away after the engine is warmed up, right? ...It's just governor hunting, nothing to worry about. Some engines do it, others don't. It could be due to varying levels of wear, but most likely it's governor is just a little bit out of adjustment. On 2-stroke Detroit Diesel engines, this "governor gap" is easily adjusted with feeler gauge, screw driver, and wrench by removing the cover on the governor... on the Multifuel, it may be more difficult. Mine hunts when cold and I couldn't care less.

Jon

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check your idle rpm, it may have to be adjusted up a bit or use the hand "throttle" to increase the revs until warmed up like Jon stated.
The idle is set higher on the turbos vs the N/A engines.....
About 750 for N/A and 825 for turbos.

Edit: Added image.

Attachments

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it do it when the motor is at full temp not just warm. They require full temp to run right.
If at full temp and idle brought around 850 900 the problem is still there then pop off pressure of the injectors could be checked.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks