• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dexcool use at some point discovered...should I be worried?

Asmoday

When I first picked up my M1009 a few months ago the first thing I did was a white vinegar flush to the cooling system and then several rinses before I put on new hoses and a thermostat. After the flush I did notice that I wound up with some bubbly muddy orangish gunk that seemed to pool at the radiator cap opening. It was not a lot but it was enough to motivate me to install a coolant filter which pulled a substantial amount of dirty orange stuff out of the system. On the last coolant filter changed I cut open the filter and there was a substantial amount of gunk in it. Even a type of rusty slime.

I always thought it was just rusty sediment from the flush but after deciding to pull the radiator and have it re-cored I noticed that the inside of the new hoses had the same kind of orange film. The radiator was heavily blocked with corrosion although it did not seem to have the dreaded orange Dexcool sludge but it was heavily blocked. My raditor shop told me that they believe the system at some point has had Dexcool in it.

I have since replaced the water pump, radiator hoses, thermostat(new GM...no more China Stant), and have installed the re-cored radiator which I upgraded to a 4 row high efficiency unit. I also installed a NOS overflow tank replacing the original cracked unit and it had the orange film at the bottom as well.

Standard Prestone 50/50 mix was used. The coolant is nice and clean so far.

I'm wondering if I should be concerned about the possibility of Dexcool residue still residing in the heater core and in the block and heads?

I'm not sure how much more flushing I could do at this point but the heater core could still be loaded with Dexcool residue although the coolant filter taps into the heater send and return lines and hopefully that will catch most junk still in there.

Should I be concerned...?

mikgyverx2

as long as its not over heating,, that stuff will work out in time
it looks like you have done as much as you an for now
the trick is to flush flush flush & pray it dident get to the head gaskits(doesent often happen)
just keep an eye on it, GM was sued over this same problem & there excuse was that people dident service there coolant systems properly, ive seen this problem occur within 2 years
switch back to "good old green" & problem solved...[thumbzup]