• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ever use QuikSteel??

redline300

So I am getting sick of welding!! lol. I have a few tiny...TINY...holes here and there and was told about this product clled QuikSteel by CarGo. Does it work? If so, how well? Anything I shoud know about how to apply it, grind it, etc...?

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never used Quicksteel but I have used JB Weld quite a bit. Just make sure you apply it to bare metal. Good luck.
FYI, You can't weld metal that has JB weld in it. You have to grind it back to fresh metal to get a good weld after it breaks again. A lot less work to do it right the first time.

Just a thought.

Mohawk Dave

I noticed you are using flux-core. With the right wire, an experienced welder can make this clean. No offense at all-you're doing a great job regardless.

If you have access to a MIG you can get better results.

This was taken from Denny at WeldingWeb.com regarding body welding.

"I use ER70S-6 (.023) for all the pan and panel work I do on the classic cars. I do panel work on 4-10 classics each year. I use only the name brand wires and stay away from the Chinese wire. I use a Miller Sidekick 90A MIG and C25(75%Argon/25%CO2) at 15cfh inside and 22-25cfh outside. You will get the best results by tilting your MIG torch at a 45deg. angle to flatten the puddle and I use 1/8" thick aluminum backing strips to avoid burnthru. Tacking every 2-3" with the backing strip will reduce any warping. It takes practice on scrap to get your heat/wf settings optimal, but once you get the "feel" of the puddle on the thin panels, you will have no problems. CLEAN metal!!! Take your time....Good Luck....Denny "

Just an idea. Happy Trails and good luck.

(BTW, I can weld tube all day, but I SUCK at body work myself. I always give it too much heat. So props on your progress)

-Dave

deuceaid

Banned
I noticed you are using flux-core. With the right wire, an experienced welder can make this clean. No offense at all-you're doing a great job regardless.

Thanks Mohawk Dave, I saw the same picture, but wasnt looking for the gas tank etc....

Redline......the thing is you have (slag) in your welds,,, I dont want to teach a school here, but that little Lincoln welder ( I have one too) comes stock set up for welding with flux core wire,,, the flux produces a shielding gas to keep the molten iron from reacting with the oxygen in the air around the weld ( VERY NECESSARY), but flux cored also leaves behing slag which has to be knocked off with a chipping hammer EVERY TIME before starting to weld again....

the other option is MIG welding......- Metal Inert Gas... the gas supplied by a tank of argon/co2 (75%-25% I think,, could be the other way around), shields the weld area, and since it is a gas does not need to be knocked off the weld area, since it does not form a slag ( crud-cover) over the weld area.......

carry on corporal:beer:

Last edited:

scoutmanadam

i have used some very similar substances and they work OK, the metal has to be super clean, then you will want to texture it just a bit with a sander or something to give it more surface area, then give it three times longer to set up then they say. besides that they take paint well and are easily ground flat. if it says it can be tapped, dont bother trying it, you will never get a bolt to take well to it, and i wouldnt trust it anyway with a load on it.

deuceaid

Banned
i have used some very similar substances

KHAN! ( avatar of the previous poster)

all jokes aside, I just got done reviewing you work pictures,,,,

first,,,, when welding, use your left hand as a rest point,,,,place it on the work piece,,,, notes follow ( I am assuming your right handed)

second, Clean the work area..(prep)....You need to remove more paint and primer away from the work area, they create fumes that interfer with the weld process...get the paint at least 1 inch away from weld area (ie grind- sand)

third, when welding, if possible, lay right wrist over left wrist,, ( this gives you finner control of the weld puddle)

fouth, read a book on basic welding......making figure 8`s, fishscales, mig, tig, smaw,gmaw, spot , etc

I have friends that can weld beer cans,, ( about the hardest thing to do-thin aluminum),,,, your not too far off, just need some practice , and input from an instructor etc..:deadhorse:fat lady sings

deuceaid

Banned

I agree , but I doubt the poster has the resourses...

tig,,, tungsten inert gas,, reserved for the elite, that can weld aluminiun, etc,,

tungsten electrode ( doesnt melt --but it is where the arc that makes heat resides) inert gas---also known as heli-arc......because they dont use the argon CO2 mix... just a pure heilium gas ( MUCH more expensive, and VERY INERT),, most posters here wont know that CO2 gas is slightly acidic,, look up the term carbonic acid......

like I could find some retard that welded a pipeline across a whole state:razz::not worthy:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks