• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Feedback needed - towbar mount

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I finally mounted my medium tow bar. I looked at the previous threads on the topic and decided to put it onto the front bumper, in pieces, for ease of handling. I used Grade 8 threaded rods in place of two of the shackle bracket bolts and drilled one hole into the bumper support bracket.

So what, you say. Well, I have been looking at the result (oh, it is sturdy and functional) but.....I am just not sure I like it. My wife, who likes the truck, just looked at the tow bar on the bumper and shook her head as she walked away.

The headlights are not really obstructed; it is the angle of view that makes it look like they are covered.

So, what do you think?

Attachments

ODdave

Hate to say it but im with the wife on this one. Just looks like too much going on up there for my taste, But its your truck, Do YOU like it?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How often do you use it? It takes some finegalling but you can put it in the area between the bed floor and bed frame rails above the tandems. I usually keep mone there but it's loaned out at the time. I think Will Wagner keeps his there. Unless you really go looing, you will never see it. I like out of sight!

Link. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/21593-tow-bar-stowage.html

kennys@wi.rr.com

I have to admit I do not have a tow bar and I can't speak to the length of one, but would it fit in place of the tool rack above the spare tire by chance?

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to vote with your wife, too much stuff up there. I like the look of the winch and that messes with it. Wish I had a towbar though.

treeguy

This site is so funny. I don't know how many times I'd be thinking something up or actually building something and quickly check in and see someone working on the same issue!

I think the OP has enough 2cents from everyone else here so I'll show how I am working out the mounting cunundrum.

Check the pic's. Its still a work in progress. The 1/2 rounds are 3" ID tubing cut the long way. There will be a 1/4" x 2" bar welded tangent (ending tangent also) to the bottom half. There will also be 1/4" x 2" bar 8-1/2" long welded tangent to the top section that will be thru bolted to the two 1/2" bolts under the winch frame extentions. There will be 1/2" padding between the truck frame and the tow bar mount to extend this rig down to clear the 5/8" bolts under the winch frame extentions. There will also be 1/4" bar cut and welded into triangle shaped gussets to go from the flat where the bolts are and to the 1/2 rounds to brace the 1" bar for the bolts. The bolts are 1/2" x 20 and the heads will be tacked to the top unit. There is enough slack between the 1/2 rounds and the tow bars to glue some 1/4" rubber padding and I'll leave the bolts long enough to acomodate any padding. The nuts are security lug nuts from an auto store so no one can easily rip off the tow bar (and the gussetting also prohibits vice grips clamping the lug nuts). Notice the key in the pic. This is just an idea I came up with to mount the tow bar under the bumper. The length does not interfere with the tires or anything else. I wanted to use these same mounts to put the bars under the rear of the truck but I have other plans for that space and my 2" receiver makes removing the bars from that location more of a paint removing tool. I was going to use a hinge on one end and the locking lug nuts on the other, but with rubber padding the mount would pinch tight on the hinge side and be a bit loose on the bolting side. I was also going to ad a hinge to the top of one mounting bracket allowing the unit to pivot down from the truck (like a rail road baricade comming down - tow bar being the baricade). This would alow the feet of the tow bar to rest on the ground as you lift the lunette end up and strap her in then you raise the feet end and strap them in. (because ther' real heavy and I'm a one man show) I don't know, the jury is still out on this aspect. This would be way more complicated that I wanted it and I'd have to pad down the feet end to match the hinge thickness. Ratchet straps work wonders. I'll share when its done.

Just a tip.....seeing as its sooooo hot recently and the wives all want every window in the house to include an AC, welding has become interesting. Like what you say, like not enough juice to make penetrating welds. The welder almost ended up in the ocean before I could figure out what was going on. So now I weld with the genny running, real cool right, NO. Its a waste of fuel in comparison to the amount of actual arc burning time! But just trying to remind the neighbors why they love me!

P.S. don't tell anyone about the green drip on the frame cross member, thats a figment of your imagination!

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Treeguy, the mounts look great but it poses a question I would have. Is it going to be a challenge hoisting that bar up under the bumper and getting it secured?

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think it's a bad place to mount a towbar, I just think you've got too many bars up front. That's where we put them in Iraq, and they worked fine. And they are MUCH heavier towbars for the MRAPS. (70,000#'s plus) I'd move the towbar on top to where the black tubes are, and maybe move those to under the bed crosswise on top of the frame. 2cents

treeguy

Recovery, yeah it looks tricky because of the weight but I am invisioning placing the bars on the ground, lifting the lunette end and straping it to the frame handle (ratchet strap or short line) then lift the feet end and loosely clamp them (long enough bolts to start the nuts). Then push the lunette end into the clamp and install the lower clamp and tighten them all up. I do see you point though. That was the thought behind the hinge (top clamp hinge down to match the angle of the bars with the feet on the ground and lifting the lunette). With that you could secure one end then lift the feet end and then clamp them, but this set up is involved.

Last edited:

treeguy

Kinda like this, but I don't think I'll do it. (two views - top is looking at the truck from the side and the bottom is looking at the truck from the front) So the lunette would be to the right and the feet to the left, hinge down - tow bars will be angled with feet on the ground, clamp lunette end and flip the feet up.

Sorry, the two green tubes should actually be one in the picture, the other tube would be behind it. I just drew it wrong.

Attachments

Last edited: