• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flashing "WAIT" light

danewerle

Why is my "WAIT" light coming on after the engine has started and running? Sometimes it flashes and sometimes it stays on continuously. Thanks. 1986 M1009

cucvrus

I have had this happen. Go over all the battery cables. Especially the grounds. Also check the connection on the right rear passengers side head. There is a temp sensor back there. I have seen them cause the issue with a loose connection. But the last 2 times I had it happen it was a bad ground on the front battery post that was causing the issue. Drove me crazy to find it. I hope that helps.

Barrman

The wait light shows when the glow plugs are working before you start the engine. However, the plugs still glow up to 30 seconds or so after engine start up. It is officially called "after glow." The glow plug controller determines how much after glow is needed based on engine temperature. It is normal and needed for proper engine start up. Watch your volt meter. See it if stays around the yellow/green line until the light goes out for the last time. Then, the volt meter should move on up to the "normal" line.

The glow plug system in the CUCV trucks is different than the 3 different systems used over the years for the civilian 6.2 engines. The CUCV system has a glow plug control card. When the CUCV production stopped, so did the card production. CUCV Electric made his own version a few years ago and Antennaclimber still makes one currently. Antennaclimber has a wonderful Youtube video showing how all the different parts of the glow plug system work and when they do their thing.

You could have the loose connections mentioned in the post above. You could have a stock card not working right or you could have the CUCV electric card that has an option to turn the light on during afterglow. I don't think Antennaclimber added that option on his card.

You could also have the 1988-1992 civilian system fitted to your truck which makes the light come on anytime the glow plugs are on.

I know, more questions than answers. Investigate what you have in the truck, compare it to what the -20 manual shows you should have and get back with us. Clean all your connections too.

cucvrus

Yesterday i was trying to help out Jozseph with his wait light flashing issue. I remembered having this issue and it would flash after I started the CUCV and would do it every so often. I tried everything to correct the issue. I replaced all the sensors and sending units and switches. I exchanged the circuit card with several different units. I was about to give up and change the engine wiring harness. Well the first thing you do when doing electrical work is disconnect the batteries. i always do grounds first standard procedure. The first cable i went for was the front negative and it was slightly loose. That was the problem all along. It came loose from the use of jumper cables being put on ad off of the front battery during the hard winter herin Pennsylvania. After it was fixed all is well. As you know I have the stock glow plug system of all of the CUCV's in my fleet and customers. So I still have the resistors and the 13 G AC Delco glow plugs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks