• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flex plate/fly wheel

Maineguy10

I have an 85 cucv blazer with a th400, I just got a new flywheel from eBay, it bolts right up, tooth count is right, it's on the right way, all the holes line up, but it is too close to the engine. The starter gear is always engaged, it won't back away from the flywheel and the dust cover over the flex plate won't go on cause it's against the fly wheel. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Or do I just have the wrong part???
Thanks for the help!

Maineguy10

I haven't touched that? I took the tranny out, put the new flex plate on, and reassembled. Of course I figured out this problem way to late.......

Maineguy10

That's what I'm thinking, but Im in contact with the outfit I got it from. So hopefully we'll figure it out sooner than later,
Thanks for the help.

cpf240

I haven't touched that? I took the tranny out, put the new flex plate on, and reassembled. Of course I figured out this problem way to late.......
Sorry, was being a bit silly, hence the smiley face...

How was the part described in the auction info? Did it specify 6.2l diesel w/TH400 trans? I know the 700 trans is supposed to bolt up to the 6.2l, but I don't know if there is a difference in the flex plate between the 6.2l and the 5.7l, etc.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What part number part, did you install?

14077157 is the GM part number. Lots of threads here on them(search 14077157).

Last edited:

Maineguy10

Missed the smiley, sorry. Auction info said it was for a 6.2 w a th 400. The seller is in contact with me and says there is only one option for that combo.
DogHead. It's a pioneer auto industries FRA -142

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure your starter is not stuck out (engaged)?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you try to take a few pictures and post them?

Are you 100% sure that your torque converter is properly engaged into the pump?

Maineguy10

I'm not 100% sure of anything right now. How would I know if it's engaged or not?? I'm learning as I go here.....taking my time, but obviously not enough.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you pull the transmission bellhousing to the motor with bolts, or did it slide right into place by hand easy?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you install the torque converter into the front of the transmission, there were 2 slots that must engage into the transmission pump. You should have rotated the torque converter and lightly pushed it into the transmission until it "pops" into the pump engagement slots.

If you did not do this, and you forced the bell housing to the motor,that is probably your issue. (your torque converter would be about 3/8" "forward" of where it should be.

If so, you most likely have bent the new flex plate and damaged your transmission pump.