• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fried starter x2

KYJoe

I have a 1985 M1009 . very solid truck very basic mil spec. It was driving with no issues but now it keeps frying starters and wires that lead to the starter. Any advice would be appreciated.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have the support bracket installed? What type of starter? Direct Drive or Gear Reduction.

What had you changed when the issues started?

KYJoe

Haven't changed anything. The first starter was replaced by the previous owner, the one I just took off is a DB electrical 24v gear reduction starter, same used by the previous owner it started no problem for about 3 weeks before this last one went out.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are the symptoms? How long does it take to start the truck when hot? Cold? Need more info. If it's leaking down fuel and you are leaning on it for 4 or 5 minutes, things are going to get hot. Chickens fry, starters fail. Was the last failed starter diagnosed?

KYJoe

Hot and cold it would start right up after the wait light goes out. No leaks that I have found. The starter is dead (tested it) and it smells burnt.

Skinny

What are the symptoms? How long does it take to start the truck when hot? Cold? Need more info. If it's leaking down fuel and you are leaning on it for 4 or 5 minutes, things are going to get hot. Chickens fry, starters fail. Was the last failed starter diagnosed?
Nonsense! You can tune a piano but you can't tune a fish...

Unless you installed two faulty starters I would do some serious voltage drop tests to see if a supply or ground cable is at fault. Anything over .1, maybe .2 volts max is suspect.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would also go with some bad grounds , you need good grounding for everything to work properly . I would check and clean all your ground connections . Check for a good ground between the engine and the frame/firewall .

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can get the starter tested at an auto parts store. There is a maximum no-load current spec. If it exceeds that spec, once under load it will draw more amps than the vehicle start circuit (batteries, cables, etc.) can supply.

Skinny

Auto parts store + 24v starter = boom

Probably better off with a shop or atleast find a store with someone that has a pulse. A simple VAT40 would do the trick and most shops have one of those antiques (which still work great) to give you amperage figures. Plus it is real world in the truck data.

KYJoe

Installed the doghead relay, and the new starter. Fired right up. So far so good. Thank you all for the help and great advice it was a huge help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks