• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Friggin shooby doo Hydroboost----Ideas Anyone?

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The hydroboost replacement with the Cardone 52-7248 on my M1009 was going soooo well----too well. Got the old one off, put the new one on. Went to bleed the system per TM, brake pedal goes all the way to the floor and won't come up.

Went to the mfg website, says contaminated (the fluid was fresh) and pulled the return line but getting a mere slow stream even when turning the steering wheel.

Did I get a bad rebuild or what?

Ideas?

Barrman

There is a direct mechanical link between the pedal and the master cylinder. If the pedal is stuck to the floor, the master is also stuck down. When you said "bleed the system" I assume you were talking about the power steering system and that your brake fluid wasn't messed with and is still solid. If that is the case. You might have what happened to me last week. I was fitting a hydroboost to my M715 which has a 1976 Corvette non power brake master cylinder. I couldn't bleed the brakes by pedal. No air with vacuum or pressure bleeding, but no pedal resistance. Just to the floor and all 4 tires spinning. I was calling the parts store for a replacement for the junk master cylinder they had sold me the day before and saying bad things about Gimpy who gave me the hydroboost 6 years ago. Turns out the push rod on the master side of the hydroboost was too skinny and was sliding 3 inches into the master bore where the non power push rod was supposed to fit. My master wasn't getting moved while I was pushing away like crazy on the pedal. I made a spacer to stick in the bore and have amazing brakes now.

Since it is so easy. Unbolt the two master cylinder mount bolts and slide the master away from the hydroboost some. See if the diameter of the hydroboost push rod is the same as the one you took off. Also, have somebody push the pedal slowly and make sure the push rod is moving. If it isn't, you got a bad one. If it is, then your master could be bad or you could have what I had.

Sorry for rambling around some, but I wanted to back up my reasons.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I think you're right.

After calming down tonight, I was coming to the same conclusion. D#@! glasses broke (no I didn't throw them) so I had the daughter read the directions since I couldn't see to read. I'm feelin' old. After she read the stuff, I got to thinkin', of course that kept me from drinkin' but I still came up with the same conclusion.

Gojo1812

That same rod comes in different lengths, I changed one on a 1 Ton dump truck one time and had to look at 3 different boosters before I found one with a long rod...

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Found the problem but now unclear how to fix it.

The Cardone hydroboost I got was missing the internal spring, plunger and retainer. Tried to figure out how to pull it from the old one but other than completely breaking down the hydroboost, don't see how.

[FONT=Z@R628.tmp,sans-serif][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT]

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Called Cardone, they confirmed it was defective.

OK, went to O'Reilly's to return it this evening after removing it, the last one came in 24 hrs, this next one will be 5-7 days!!!!!! They also initially said I had to pay $17 to get the other one!!! That got straightened out cause I was about to return it and the radiator that is yet to be installed. Tried calling the 800 customer service but they're a 7-5 operation so it looks unlikely I'll get satisfaction and have it here this weekend.

I think I am going to TRY and rebuild my old hydro if I can figure out what part it is.

Skinny

I would think there is some type of pushrod adjustment going into the MC. That would cause a low pedal...no brake bleeding is required when installing a new hydroboost.