• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

frozen brake connectors - HELP!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am trying to get this M200 trailer does for Aberdeen, am having problems with the existing brake lines. The steel brake line compression fittings (they have a name, I can't remember what they are called) have corroded to the brass fittings on the master cylinder, as well as to the inner wheel plate fittings, etc. Everywhere there is a compression fitting, they are frozen. I cannot unbolt them without rounding the fitting, and that's AFTER using Kroil and heat from a propane torch. Any ideas of how I can get this stuff off without destroying the female end of the joint? I don't care so much about the steel brake line fittings themselves, I can make new ones. I just don't want to mess up anything else, or round off the fittings to the point where I can't take them out at all....

Nonotagain

Mike,

If the brake line fittings are seized in the hydraulic component, it's time for new brake lines. Don't bother fighting the rounding off monster, get a pair of REAL Vise Grips, tighten them down, and remove the fitting.

Since you already tried heat and penetrating oil, it’s time to use the Vise Grips and Get-R-Done.

The lines cost around $5.00 each (1/4"X51" long coated steel lines) and can be bent using a cheap tubing bender from Harbor Freight.

m38inmaine

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you use a flare nut wrench, it will grab better and less likely to round off the fitting.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the stubborn ones I chop the line off and the flare nut and use a socket and small impact on them.

littlebob

For the stubborn ones I chop the line off and the flare nut and use a socket and small impact on them.
Thats what I would do. Cut it short and find a socket a little smaller and tap or beat on it till it makes the unhardened part conform to the socket. The tapping and or beating should help loosen it up.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the pointers, guys, will try the small impact on them and see what happens. Worst case scenario I round the connector, but if that happens I'll just try the Vise-Grip method.

I'll beat this thing into submission some way....

LanceRobson

Mike, if you can get to it and have a Dremel, Foredom or pneumatic cutoff tool you can try cutting most of the way through the nut but not quite to the threads in a couple of places. Then put heat on it again and try to crank it off. The relief cut allows the nut to flex and break the grip without threatening the MC.

Lance

EDIT: Mike, I should have added; if you make the relief cuts you can sometimes break it loose just by grabbing it from different angles with a small pipe wrench or vise grips. that may flex things enough to get them off.

Also, have you tried a small pipe wrench? It won't care if the nut is rounded.

Last edited:

cornrichard

One of the farm web sites I an on has invented a new rust breaker they call haggenbrew. Mix one part ATF with one part acetone. There are about a dozen theories on how this works but it sure works. I would put it into the don't knock it until you try it category.

rlwm211

Mike, I am assuming you are using a flare nut wrench on these fittings.

It is almost impossible to loosen an old flare nut with a regular wrench.

The rest of the advice is sage and the way to go, and I would do the same myself.

RL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks